What's new

Please HELP with an IMPOSSIBLE ROOM !! (1 Viewer)

JasonMilch

Grip
The wife and I just bought a new codo here in Chicago that we move into next month. It's typical of the big city condo where space is at a premium and this poses a problem for my HT setup. The room is a combo Living/Dining Room and my wife has insisted that certain furniture go in certain places. The room is wired for 5.1 but I don't think the speaker plates are ideally located for my use. See diagram below... wall plates are marked in red

My questions are:

Will this setup work for my non-audiophile ears (still want a decent setup though. If not, how would you fix it (aside from moving the dining room table which must stay put. I'm not an electrician so a ton of rewiring in walls is not an option.

I need new speakers so can you give advice on the types (floorstanding, bookshelf, satellite...) that will work best? Not looking for brand suggestions here, just types.

Thanks so much... J

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can't seem to see the diagram. Check the URL.

If it's a distance issue, most popular 5.1 systems have an option where you can set the individual distance for each speaker to make up for time mis-alignments.

Couple that with setting proper SPL levels for each channel you should be fine. Pick up a Radio Shack SPL meter and a calibration DVD that includes test tones and you should be all set. I'd recommend the DVD to also set your picture settings as well.

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
The link to the image doesn't work so it is hard to reply!!!

A good starting point is to look at the websites of thx.com and dolby digital. I can't see your room so it is hard to comment. So here are some basic suggestions:

1. start with 2 pairs of bookshelf speakers with a matching centre speaker and a subwoofer (lifestyle systems are too much of a compromise IMO)

if you can afford more ...

2. select matching main speakers and centre speaker - both 2 way MTM (2 midbass drivers and a tweeter), with dipole/bipole surround speakers and a subwoofer

for a system that uses main speakers for music as well in stereo mode ...

3. same as above but with floorstanding mains. You may not want the sub with music so the mains should have a good response down to 40 Hz.

If you don't mind a little work, consider a kit which will give you the last option much cheaper, and you can match it to your interior in terms of colour and finish.

Changing location of speaker cable plates is not hard, you don't need to be an electrician, just to hack into your wall, solder on some more cable if needed, cut a hole in the wall and relocate the plate, plaster over the existing hole and do a little painting.

regards,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks