What's new

Please help - sound problems (1 Viewer)

LorneJA

Auditioning
Hi all. I recently got a refurbished Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver and I'm having some problems. When I put on a dvd, it sounds great for the first hour or so, but then the front speakers start crackling and popping and the dialogue becomes choppy. My front speakers are Bose 201 Series IIIs (They're 10 years old and I got them long before I learned Bose was not the way to go). My center speaker is a Sony SS-CN305 and my back speakers are Sony SS-SR305s. I did not have this problem with my old receiver, a Technics SA-GX350. Could it be that my old speaker wires can't handle the new power? Or that my front speakers can't handle it? Or is the receiver defective?

I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks so much.

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hi LorneJA (elongated brain dump on your issue, no particular order)

You said this ONLY happens when on DVD? Have you eliminated the other sources from this symptom? What happens if you play a CD (not on your DVD player) or auxiliary input for over an hour?

Crackling and popping, open circuits in cables and wires pops into mind first(pardon the pun).

If no other device but DVD suffers the affliction, then it might be the DVD players RCA cable. Try swapping it for a known good or new one.

If all devices suffer it could be speaker wire. Not likely an overpower issue but again an open in the wires. You say this doesn't happen to the rear or centre? Just the front speakers, eh? Is there any particular volume level that trips the symptom?

Try swapping a rear or centre speaker wire (maybe the whole speaker too for that matter) for your fronts and see if it goes away. Or just test it with some new speaker wire. Use 16 gauge speaker wire from Home Depot, works great for runs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks