Please Help Me with 'Standard 1/4"-20 Screws'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Burzynski, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Here's the skinny.

I bought new NHT speakers, model SB3. They ae going to be wall mounted. I contacted NHT and they told me I needed a particular mount. I searched the web and got a good price for the mounts. But no screws to attach the mounts to the speakers.

Back on the phone with NHT. They tell me I need "standard quarter twenty screws", preferrably steel as the sleaves are steel. I asked for a length, they repeated "standard quarter twenty." Fine with me.

OK, off to my local Home Depot I go. Turns out that a 1/4" (diameter) - 20 (twenty threads per inch) screw(or bolt) comes in MANY lengths: ranging let's say from 1/2" to 4".

So, me being the screw genius that I am, figure that if there are 20 threads to one inch, they probably meant a one inch long screw. So that's what I bought, a bag of 1" long 1/4"-20's.

Well, I get home and try them out only to find that they are TOO LONG. The hole is not deep enough for these 1" long screws.

At this point I feel like a total idiot.

Some one please help.

WHAT IS A "STANDARD" QUARTER TWENTY ???

Thanks.

Rich B.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Nothing to it, Richard. Just screw in the bolt as far as it will go and mark it. Measure from the mark to find out how long of a bolt you need.
    They called it “standard” because umm, that’s what it is! [​IMG] It’s a standard bolt size. Going up the line, there’s 3/8-16 (or maybe -20, can’t remember), 1/2-16 (I think), and so on. Smaller than 1/4-20 they use a number (gauge perhaps?) to designate the size. The sizes down from 1/4-20 are 12-24, 10-24 and 10-32 (i.e., fine and course thread), 8-32, 6-32 and 4-40.
    As you can see I’m a little rusty on some of the threads-per-inch designations of the larger bolts, but I hope this helps. Maybe someone else will help me out here.
    Happy Holidays,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Wayne:

Thanks, sounds easy enough.

What gets me is that I specifically asked this question of NHT CS. If they recommend a particular mounting bracket for their speakers, you'd figure they would know what screws (length and all) that I would need.

Rich B.