What's new

Please guide me in the right direction!! : ) (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I'm getting ready to start my first DIY sub, and am wondering what would be the best way to attach all of the panels together. How do you do it? Do any of you use screws?
Thanks in advance!!
------------------
God bless!
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm using Titebond II wood glue and biscuits on the 6 speakers I'm building right now. Band clamps to hold them while they dry.
-Robert

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At every joint, I use this to cut a small slot in each piece of wood. A small piece of wood shaped like a flat football is inserted to increase the joint strength. I'm not sure how much it helps but Norm Abrams (New Yankee Workshop on PBS) uses them on everything.
-Robert
[Edited last by Robert_J on November 09, 2001 at 02:43 PM]

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Biscuits are basically little ovals of wood. You cut a notch in each workpiece and the biscuit sits in that notch. They are useful for alignment but won't add much strength for this application (the glue is stronger than the MDF anyway). Screws or a brad nailer are helpful to hold things in place while the glue dries. I'd recommend Gorilla brand glue (or similar Poly glue) since it expands into joints & will make the joint airtight. Apply the glue to one side and lightly moisten the other side (this glue cures in the presence of moisture).
Is this a multiple layer box? If so, I find that it's easier to build the interior box and build the next layer around the old one (easier to tweak the fit of each component. Give us more details about your design if this didn't answer your question...
Greg

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
I've used a biscuit joiner in the past and they're great for alignment purposes. But if you can get good straight cuts and can glue and clamp the joints this is far superior to using screws. Every time I used screws in the past I had problems with the MDF splitting and bulging at the joints. So if you have the patience some wood glue and clamps are going to give you the best results.
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks