What's new

Please explain what DVI has to do with HD TV's (1 Viewer)

JohnMM

Stunt Coordinator
I admit I am technically challenged. Can someone please explain why DVI/Firewire/etc will obsolete current HD TV's?
My limited understanding is that HD-content-providers want to implement some standards to prevent people from recording HD content. What I don't understand is why that will affect HD TV's - they're not recording devices. And the another thing I don't understand is why does this affect the TV instead of the STB?
Please help...

george king

Supporting Actor
You may want to go over to the HDTV hardware section of www.avsforum.com for an extensive discussion of the issue. However, in a nutshell, here is the situation.
The studios are terrified of being "napsterized". As it currently stands, your HDTV set-top box sends the HDTV signal to your TV via an analog component cable. Theoretically, one could make excellent copies from this analog output from the STB and distribute them.
What the studios want is a DVI connector from the STB to the TV. This is a digital connection, that will send the raw uncompressed HDTV signal to the TV. At this point, the HDTV will decode, and display the content. The studios will be able to determine whether you will be able to view and record the content, based on flags embedded in the data stream.
If you do not have a DVI connector on the STB and the HDTV, the signal will be down-rezed (probably to 480p or maybe 540p. Some people claim it will be 480i, but I doubt this is likely). Since no current HDTV's (except the new JVC) have a DVI input, they will all be "obsolete" at some point (who knows when), because you will not be able to view HD content on these sets.
Hope this helps.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
If you do not have a DVI connector on the STB and the HDTV, the signal will be down-rezed (probably to 480p or maybe 540p. Some people claim it will be 480i, but I doubt this is likely). Since no current HDTV's (except the new JVC) have a DVI input, they will all be "obsolete" at some point (who knows when), because you will not be able to view HD content on these sets.
This applies to a very very small amount of HD currently broadcast...It does not apply to OTA HD from broadcast networks such as CBS or ABC..It also does not apply to HBO HD or SHowtime HD...If and when the copyright issues are ironed out it will effect some first time movie HD ppv events.....The sky is not falling (at least not yet)
------------------

george king

Supporting Actor
Mike,
It is true that this will not affect OTA HD content. While it may be true that current HD content from sat feeds won't be affected, this may not be true in the future (I do not want to sound like chicken little), but it is possible that sometime in the future,when HD content is more widely available, the studios will implement the feature on Sat and Cable HD content (of the non PPV variety). One simply can't tell.

George is correct. While it is unlikely that this "downgrading" of the HD resolution is unlikely for OTA or "non Pay-Per-View" satellite or cable broadcasts, there is absolutely nothing that will prevent HBO, Showtime or any other content provider from activating this option.
It is possible that the MPAA could tell HBO or Showtime that unless they activate this on their newer releases, then the MPAA would make them wait for a longer window before broadcasting movies.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks