What's new

Please advise with receiver choices (1 Viewer)

Kincade

Second Unit
Hey all - first time poster here! I've been reading up here for a year, but haven't really dared ask any newbie questions. ;-)

Getting to the point - i'm purchasing a receiver in the next week - And with a few friends working at stores around here, i can get the following receivers for these prices (+- $25):

Denon 3802/3 - $600 USD
Denon 2802/3 - $400 USD

Sony DA4ES - $500 USD
Sony DA7ES - $750 USD

I can get the Yamaha receivers at low costs as well, but haven't put too much research into them yet.

My use is 50 Music / 50 HT, so both areas are of strong concern. Can any of you help point me in a direction? I've listened numerous times in the past few months, but most of the listening rooms here are quite substandard - and to be honest, i couldn't tell a huge difference between the 4 listed above.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Kincade.

The Sony ES line has had a good reputation, despite some recent doubt about Sony quality. The Dennon units have been a solid performer as well.

Just on names alone, I'd lean towards the Dennon 3802 unit.

Kincade

Second Unit
well - i'm down to these final choices (and final prices):

Sony DA4ES for $540, 5 yr warranty
Denon AVR-3803 - $676, 2 yr warranty
Denon AVR-3802 - $564, 2 yr warranty
Harman Kardon AVR-520 - $500, 2 yr warranty
Harman Kardon AVR-525 - $794, 2 yr warranty

all are either plus shipping or plus tax, so the prices are somewhat equivalent.

overall, i like the sound of the 520 best - it IS missing Dolby Digital EX, DTS Neo:6, and is lacking an input for a phono though.

Is DD-EX a big deal to be missing? DTS Neo:6?

.30MHZ switching isn't too much of an issue - i won't be using it for that. i am also not to fond that it only has 5 channels of amplification, even thought i'll only be running a 5.1 setup for now.

can any of you help me on this decision? it seems the denon is well liked, although it's amplification circuit isn't too hot apparently.

FWIW, i'll be running dahlquist QX10 in front, QX60 for center, and QX20R for rear surrounds. the qx10 is a 4 ohm speaker - but marc seems to think that all the above will handle the load ok...

thanks!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Kincade,

Denon will not honor the warranty on any product sold by an unauthorized dealer, which includes most all internet dealers afaik. Other mfgs may have similar policies so keep this in consideration when making your choice.

I don't think you'd go far wrong with any of your choices, but do think you should get every decoding option and as many driven channels as your budget will allow, so as not to limit your options.

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
I'm damn sure the 520 has dts neo6. Not that it matters though. DPLII and Logic 7 beat down neo6 to a bloody pulp IMO.
Personally I'd take the 520 if you're absolutely sure you aren't moving to a 7.1 setup soon (like, in a year). I like the fact that it lacks 7 amps (the though of 7 amps on a 40ish lb receiver scares the hell out of me). Gives me a reason to include external amps down the road anyway :D

Kincade

Second Unit
I'm damn sure the 520 has dts neo6. Not that it matters though. DPLII and Logic 7 beat down neo6 to a bloody pulp IMO.
Personally I'd take the 520 if you're absolutely sure you aren't moving to a 7.1 setup soon (like, in a year). I like the fact that it lacks 7 amps (the though of 7 amps on a 40ish lb receiver scares the hell out of me). Gives me a reason to include external amps down the road anyway
i'm actually not too familiar with dts neo6 - it's not too much of a concern IMHO. i'm more concerned with the 520 missing the dd-ex. are there a lot of titles out there encoded with this?
if missing dd-ex isn't too big of a deal, i may just get the 520, and then when i step up to 7.1, i will add an amp for my mains, and use all 5 channels on the receiver to power the surrounds.
my current eval is this - 520 is great, but only has 5 ch of amps, and missing dd-ex. the denon is great, but lacks good bass management, and has a worse amp compared to the 520. the sony is reputed to have some of the best electronics, and hands down the best bass management, but nobody seems to know anything about the amp section, and quality of sony seems to be an issue frequently on this board, although they do have the longest warranty of the 3.
i wish i could demo all 3 next to each other - it would greatly help the comparison. there is not ONE store here that carries even 2 of the brands next to each other so they can be demoed - which makes this much harder than it should be.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
My .02¢, I would jump on the HK-520 for $496.23 INCLUDING shipping deal listed at the top of this forum. Shipping on receivers is usually around $30. Plus there is no tax. If all the others are local purchases, you will have to add tax to them, making the HK even a better deal for you.

You get a kick butt receiver for a great price along with a free CD and some coffee.

If you want DTS 7.1 down the road, pick up a good 2-channel amp to run your mains. This setup would blow away most 7.1 receivers because of the better 2-channel amp for music. 5.1 is personally fine for me. 7.1 is just too many speakers for my non-dedicated HT room. So having dd-ex or not was a mute point for me.

Ronnie

Kincade

Second Unit
Ok - so i pulled the trigger. Got the HK AVR525 for $679 shipped - from an authorized dealer - which I believe is a phenomenal price for that receiver. FWIW, if you don't mind buying from a non-authorized dealer, you can get it from ecost for $619 + shipping. I wanted the warranty though.

This gets me DD-EX and 7 channels of amplification over the 520, along with (supposedly) better bass management. The only negative i see is that the 520 has inputs for the main, while the 525 eliminated it - kindof a bummer, but i'll make due. I'm sure i could sell it for close to what i bought it for if i don't like it.

The only thing missing is a phono input. 'Anyone know how to hook up a record player when you're missing an input?

I will also be getting the dahlquists from marc h. tomorrow - hopefully i pieced together a nice system unheard!

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
"The only thing missing is a phono input. 'Anyone know how to hook up a record player when you're missing an input? "

I just added the Radio Shack phono preamp to my HK520. Its $25 from their online store. You can do a search on this forum to find out more about it. It runs off a 9v battery, vs using a transformer pack. I used some double sided tape to mount it right next to the turntable. Can easily turn it on and off while using the turmtable. Ran the audio into Video 3. Ground wire was run to a chassis screw. Sounded fine for the couple of LPs I tested with.

Crutchfield has a non-battery one for around $50.

JohnS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks