What's new

Plasma vs. LCD - some concerns (1 Viewer)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
I've posted elsewhere in this forum about Sony hardware. I'm contemplating the transition to a high definition flat screen soon, though I'm torn between Plasma and LCD. As space considerations are a prime factor, I can't go larger than 40" which for me is pushing it.

PLASMA Displays:
Plasmas seem to begin at 42" though I did find one smaller that might work - the Panasonic TH-37PX60U. This would probably fit in my proposed setup. Any reviews/comments on this one?

Plasma would probably do better for me. I have controlled lighting. However, I worry about the power consumption (325 W). That's almost double an LCD I'm considering and I also wonder how it does in warmer environments.

Most of all is the dreaded "burn-in" issue. Their site documents a 100 hour "break-in" period (1-1.5 months for me I think).The prospect of ever stretching or distorting the image seems repellant to me (replacing one problem with another - why do people settle for this nonsense!).

A question here: are the bars at sides (for conventional 1.33:1 TV) and at top and bottom for widescreen films a problem over 2 or 3 hours viewing? Also, let's say you do fill the screen what do you do about the blasted network logos that sit there in the corner while you watch shows possibly for hours (movies, etc.). You can't eliminate those. Is any of this a worry?

LCD Displays:

I'm also looking at a SONY KDLV32XBR2 (XBR3 soon?) and some of the Sharp displays at this size (32"). I'm leaning towards the LCDs for enhanced selected and size, which would fit my setup better.

My first concerns here are Response Rate & Refresh time. An A/V salesman with some smarts informed me that this has come to a point where it isn't all that noticeable anymore. The smears and other gross artifacts of yesterday are mostly gone. Is this true? It's mostly a lack of detail or softness that betrays inferior rates now.

The other problem is of course black level and the contrast, which I don't think can ever be resolved completely. It is simply a built-in weakness of the format. It's nice that they're making progress (by very small degrees in my view) but it's ultimately a fruitless exercise.

I'm writing another novel folks, sorry. Bringing this all to a close: any personal advice on Plasma vs. LCD and the models I listed (Panasonic TH-37PX60U, SONY KDLV32XBR2 and the Sharp 32" line) is very much appreciated.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
My vote is for the Panny 37"

I have the 50" version of this plasma - unbelievable picture
Don't worry about the 100 hr break in - you can make a dvd to speed this along (search for break in dvd)
I ran it for about 6 days - not non stop

Then you setup your tv contrast and brightness levels, that will prevent burn in in the future

You don't need to worry about watching a 3hr show with bars - the burn in just doesn't happen like it used to

Run some searches on Panny and plasma - you will find all kinds of info

My plasma is way better than my LCD

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I have the Panasonic 37" 9UK, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Read the "Master Burn-In Thread" and you'll see that with proper care, burn-in is really a non-issue. I occasionally run the white scroll bar screensaver, watch as much full screen material as possible, and have viewed almost all of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and other 2:35 films in Full / Dynamic mode (with black bars at the top and bottom) as well as tv programming in Normal mode (black on either side), with only brief and very slight image retention, which again is wiped out by turning on the screensaver or going back to full screen for a couple minutes afterwards. I'm almost to the 100 hour mark, and increasingly I notice that what little image retention that might appear is becoming less and less.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I've mentioned in other threads that I'm not a plasma fan.
My biggest problem with them (I, personally, can't live with it), is the shiny screen. It reflects everything in the room.........especially lights! If your room is good and dark when watching, it may not be an issue. Other than that, plasmas have a good looking picture. But in the local stores (even Sam's Club, believe it or not), the Sony 1080p LCD (Bravia, I think) looked much better, to me.
Good luck, with whatever you decide on. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks