What's new

plasma tv (1 Viewer)

NadeemF

Auditioning
I am thinking of buying a 50 inch plasma tv. Could you please give me the pros and cons; e.g. I heard that one should get an extended warranty but that this costs a fortune. how about picture quality. If I were to spend close to $10,000 I'd want to have something that is great and will last for several years (technololically).
Thanks.
These HT forums are interesting, useful and absorbing. I am glad to be a part. :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
These HT forums are interesting, useful and absorbing. I am glad to be a part.
Nice to have you here.

You know, Plasma Tvs have been on my mind a lot to, but the price for a 50/60 inch model is really hefty, especially here in the UK, even if they are (slowly) coming down in price. The technology has, in my mind, imnproved a great deal too.

I like them for their felexibility and resolution. You'd be good to check in store demos of various models, although they wont be properly calibrated you'd get a fair idea of quality. Hopefully you'll get some better replies than mine as Plasmas do have my interest.

Fujitsu have been putting out some excellent Plasma sets.

Dan (UK)

Harry C

Auditioning
I also am intending to purchase a plasma, Price at this time keeps a lot of buyers away, even though the presentation will be the standard in the future (when??). I have looked at a Pioneer - need to compare to other units. Have you seen any comparsions?

DennisZ

Agent
I have been looking atr these also. Two things are
keeping me away - price and the fact that they only
come with a 1 yr. warranty. Waht's up with that!!!:thumbsdown:
Denny

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Pros: the WOW factor, good for confined space, brilliant vivid colors.

Cons: awful black level (supposedly getting better, but all the sets I've seen look terrible compared to CRT and even LCD/DLP TVs and projectors), price ($10,000 buys a whole lot of RPTV/Projector), and reliability.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of plasmas 480 pixels high by 800 or so pixels across. If you want HDTV quality you have to look for one that has at least 720 high by 1000 or so across.
Also I heard that some plasma screens emit a humming or buzzing noise particulary at high altitudes such as Denver CO, I don't know why.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Posten,

You need a video card that will support custom resolutions and refresh rates. Look at the GeForce based cards. They'll do the trick with an add-on program like Powerstrip.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks