What's new

Plasma TV: RF Universal Remote or Plasma-Proof IR Emitter System? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
As I have stated in several threads, I work for an A/V install company...

They routinely use Xantech remote IR equipment, including rather expensive plasma-proof eyes when a plasma TV is involved.

When I do side jobs, I find it a lot cheaper for the customer to use RF based universal remotes, bypassing the plasma eye altogether. It all seems to work fine, but the firm I do work for says that RF is 'not reliable', so they stick with the plasma-proof eyes. (Plasma TV's radiate lots of IR energy, interfering with IR systems).

The entire RF remote, with base station, costs about the same retail as a plasma-proof eye alone($200-400). And with RF, you don't need to even point the remote when running macros. Not to mention their much longer range. Am I missing something?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I know this is down to nitpicking, but I'm curious as to whether anyone else has dealt with this. Thanks...

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It's not nitpicking at all.

I'd say your company has an 'investment' in the more expensive solution for it's customers. I like, and respect, that you have a less-expensive alternative for people. (One of my goals is to get people to understand they can have a very nice HT system w/o shelling out megabucks).

Come to think of it - my Dish Network PVR's come with a remote that supports both IR and RF. The Cable box - is only IR and it's picker to use (have to point right at the box). So we have been spoiled by the RF remotes.

What RF remote do you recommend?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Hi Bob,

Your answer makes sense... Definitely more dollars involved with a plasma-proof IR system.

I am trying to be a low cost provider of smartly chosen products in my side jobs. When working for my employer, you would not believe how much some of these systems cost vs their performance. No one gets cheated, but often they get more than they need.

I use the Universal Remote Control family of products- both RF and IR. They work well, and program easily enough.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I work in a museum; we have a lot of plasma screens in use - in addition to DLP projectors, LCD screens, CRT rear projectors, CRT projectors, and direct-view CRT monitors. Many times, there are numerous displays, all taking infrared remotes in the same area.

We have never had any interference with plasma screens and any of the other devices.

The only troubles we've had have been with defective remotes (the remotes for the first generation Christie DS-30 projectors are absolutely horrible. They project about a 2-degree beam; the projector only accepts from about a 5-degree angle of incidence, and the buttons tend to stick down, perhaps courtesy of the fact that there is no button travel.)

I suppose a caveot is, all of our equipment is pro-line or industrial. Could it be that consumer equipment is more subject to interference?

Leo

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

I do think having more capacity/features/upgradability is less likely to annoy high-end customers. And when it comes to control - you really want to error on the side of ultimate control/simplicity to operate. An 8 year old had better be able to operate that $100,000 system. I suspect its not just the 'plasma proof' eyes that are behind the choice of Xantech equipment.

David_Miller

Auditioning
Real Name
David Miller

I bought the Universal RF-20 for my very simple set up so I could put the components out of sight in a closet and it is incredibly easy to use. At $160 total for the remote and the blaster add-on, it's a very cheap alternative to many of the options I saw elsewhere.

Before upgrading the install to a screen-only look, I had used the Universal MX-500, which is better than the RF-20 but not RF.

If I was a client and you offered me the package I have at $160 versus $200-400 just for the eye, I'd gain a lot more respect for you for not trying to nickel and dime me to death (relatively speaking). Maybe convince your boss to offer both?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks