What's new

Planning on Purchasing Optoma H72, (2) questions please..... (1 Viewer)

DaveLL

Auditioning
This is the projector I think I'm going to buy. Its right at the amount of money I want to spend (2K) and from what everyone says it's the bomb. Two questions.

1. I'm a noob, so what is the 16:10 native resolution mean to me? I am planning on watching mostly 16:9. Does this mean I will have tiny pillars on the side of all of my 16:9 movies? Can I get a 16:9 screen?

2. I have heard it won't work in most rooms. Why is this? I have a room that is 17.7L' X 12W' X 10H' and the projector will throw along the 17.7L. Is this cool?

Art Feierman

Auditioning
The 16:10 means that with a traditional 16:9 screen you will get some overshoot at the top and bottom. Good news is that if you have a screen with about 2 inches of black border, all the overshoot should land on the border where it should basically be invisible, since the light hitting that area will be the closest the projector can do, to black (dark gray).

Why TI has switched to a 16:10 chip I'm not sure, but probably has something to do with the fact that on the business side, most "widescreen laptops" (and all of the Dell widescreen laptops) are 16:10. So probably to use one chip for multiple purposes.

Bottom line though, if you can live with the letter boxing at top and bottom of the screen when watching DVD's, a little bit of dark gray on your screen's black frame should be a none issue.

I believe I worked out the calculations (for the overshoot) on my review of the HD72 on the projectorreviews.com website. You'll find the review posted on the homepage, and you should be able to track down the numbers, and explanation there... -a

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks