What's new

pixilization and sports (1 Viewer)

Bob Pitch

Auditioning
I have had direct tv for a week now and I am really happy with the picture and sound while watching movies. But sports look horrible, bad pixilization the grass doesnt look real,just not happy with the picture. Does anybody else have this problem and can anything be done?
Bob

Don S

Stunt Coordinator
If you're watching on the local channels, yes they look bad most of the time. The compression on the locals is terrible much of the time. ESPN is a bit better, but defintely not as good as the movie channels ...
------------------
Don
sopranos13.gif

David_LM

Stunt Coordinator
Basketball is the worst. Sometimes football looks bad. Generally, hockey looks OK. I have had DirecTV for three months now and the only area of disappointment is the quality of the sports picture, especially on local channels. I guess we just have to accept it, hope it gets better, and enjoy everything else that is good about DBS.

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
I would agree, the local channels are terrible for sports. The combination of fine detail and motion that is required is brutalized by the excess compression. I have taken to setting up a pair of rabbit ears to allow me to receive my local channels OTA when the compression gets too frustrating to me.
Andy

David_Bl

Grip
What TV do you have? The line doubler in some sets will have problems displaying sports...
David

Bob Pitch

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replys, it looks like we are all haveing the same problem. It is a real disappointment since I really got the dish for sports. Somebody asked what kind of tv I have, it is a 3 year old Mitsubishi 32 inch.

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have about a 5 year old 27" Trinitron, most other shows look look good, but live sports do not, NHL on epsn seems to have the best quality of live tv.

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
In my experience, ESPN looks far better than the locals. I will always watch a football game on ESPN before the locals because the picture quality is so much better. Its been a long time since I had cable, but I think ESPN on DirecTV blows away ESPN on cable.
Fox Sports looks just about as bad as the locals. Maybe if they didn't try to have so many regional channels, DirecTV would give them more space for each channel. As is, they are heavily compressed and washed out looking.
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks