What's new

Pioneer Elite vs. Mitsubishi Diamond Series (1 Viewer)

Venu Potluri

Auditioning
I am looking to buy my first Big screen TV (Rear-Projection). I have read a lot of reviews, went to a bunch of stores to look at lots of TVs and narrowed my choice to Pioneer Elite and Mitsubishi. I am looking for a 65” set. I still don’t know if I want a TV with HD Tuner built-in or not. I live near New York and I suppose I will get some HDTV programming. But my family doesn’t watch much in terms of the evening programming. We are more into Sports, Food TV, DIY, HGTV, etc. So, HDTV programming may not matter for us.

1. Mitsubishi 65” is much larger in size than Pioneer Elite 65”.
2. I wasn’t 100% sure which of these two offered better picture. I thought in one store the Pioneer Elite was winner and in some others, the Mitsubishi.
3. I am waiting for the Mitsubishi WS-65711 to be in stores so I can check it out and compare with Pioneer Elite PRO-720HD.
4. Even though I can afford either one, I prefer one that is easier to set up and control.
5. I will buy a ReplayTV and will record much of the programming I want to watch.
6. I have satellite TV with Dish Network.
7. I have installed wiring for in-wall speakers and will eventually hook up the TV to these speakers, via a receiver.

My dilemma is which of these two to buy? Mitsubishi advertises their Net Command and that is something I can use. They also promise their TV to be upgradeable. Pioneer doesn’t offer either of these two.

Does Pioneer have plans to replace the current models with newer ones as Mitsubishi is doing?

Which one should I consider buying? Thanks.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I would go with the Pioneer because the line doubler in it is by far better than the one in the Mits. And since you are going to be watching a lot of NTSC stuff the Elite will do a much better job.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The only real big advantage Mitsu has comes with their 73" Diamond which has higher quality 9" CRT's.

As Juan_R said, the elite line does have a better built in doubler.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I've had two ISF calibrators say Pioneer are the best RPTV's out of the box in terms of color and contrast to ISF standards. They also said the easiest to calibrate too. I agree their internal line doublers are better and they offer more ratio/format options.

I've had two Mits, best bang for the buck...but with everything equal I would choose a Pioneer.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Venu,

Ditto on the Pioneer Elite recommendation. I'll see all the new sets at CEDIA and I suspect that, like last year, the Elite will be the best.

BTW, the Elite is smaller partially because it is a 64" set, not 65". Regards.

Jeff Baldwin

Auditioning
Venu,

I'm going to buck the trend here. I just bought the 65896 Mit. I shopped it and the Pioneer against each other. I thought they were both very good but the Mit. only cost me $3,800. The Pioneers I've seen were almost twice that price. I could afford either but did not think the Pioneer was that much Better. Also if Technology continues to change so quickly or you want to upgrade in a few years you won't take such a big hit for only a very marginal difference. I plan to switch to a plasma or projector soon (2-3 years)and move the 65" into another room.
That's my thinking anyway. Hope it helps.

Good luck

Jeff

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Obviously (as you can tell from the previous replies), both are GREAT sets. The reputation among both calibrators and the higher-end shoppers, and also many reviewers _usually_ seems to be as follows:

The Pioneers are more expensive, and you pay a LOT more for what may (or may not) end up being a little more.

The Pioneers reportedly have a better line doubler. They also tend to look a bit better "out of the box."

The Mitsubishis, according to more than one ISF calibrator, will look "at least as good, if not better, than any other consumer level RPTV in the world, AFTER they are properly calibrated." I have read this so many times, from so many different ISF calibrators, that I wondered if they had stock (grin). The Mits models are very tweakable, but so are the Pioneers.

The Mitsubishis are rather infamous for excessive red push, but there has always been some method of eliminating this, either by the user or with a proper calibration.

I would look at things like the stretch modes available on each, for both 4 X 3 and 16 X 9 stuff, your tastes in the cabinets, and also whether you mind spending the extra cost to get the "better picture out of the box," since both are so good, and it will probably be a "wash" anyway, as far as picture quality, if you calibrate the set.

The above are merely my opinions, based on my own shopping, some research, reading reviews, reading owner reports, talking to salespeople, and viewing them myself (both calibrated and uncalibrated).

I think you will be happy with EITHER choice.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I went back and forth the same as you I ended up going with the mits and I glad I did, although the pioneer is a great set the mits is upgradeable and to me the viewing angle on the mits is better try looking at the tv in the store from a side angle(in other words stand in front of the tv and walk to the left or right about 10' the mits pic is almost as good as in front of the screen and the pioneer is hard to see. If a line doubler is an issue then you can pick up a external doubler for a couple hundred bucks and be happy;) save some money for a nice receiver I did I bought a pioneer elite 49tx and love it:emoji_thumbsup:
Good luck, Bob

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Venu, both sets are great. The Elite has a more accurate picture out of the box. The Mits is more future proof with the Mits upgradability promise. They can add a promise module for around 999.00, so the rep says. Also, the Mits has a firewire input, integrated HDTV tuner and costs less. Mits has more bang for the buck.

Scott

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I've got a mits and love it. However, I'd automatically add the cost of a proper ISF calibration to the purchase price of ANY RPTV - I think it's that important. This will run you 500-800. For my money - literally - I think the Mits - with the necessaryt calibration - is every bit as good as the Pioneer.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I've got a mits and love it. However, I'd automatically add the cost of a proper ISF calibration to the purchase price of ANY RPTV - I think it's that important. This will run you 500-800. For my money - literally - I think the Mits - with the necessaryt calibration - is every bit as good as the Pioneer.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
God, I sell both and am in about 95% agreement with the above posts! How amazing!
tough call but the off air /QAM tuner is undoubtidly better than some after market ones might be (scientific atlanta,tocum,jerrold,etc).............

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks