What's new
World Wide Stereo

pioneer elite opinions (1 Viewer)

michael-j-w

Auditioning
I am considering the pioneer elite vsx-74txvi receiver with the elite dv-79avi dvd player. any opinions on thes products?

728x90

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I own the vsx-56txi and a dv-47ai dvd player. I'm very happy with the combo.

Drives my Klipsch speakers without any problems.

Ilink is great, only one audio connection between the rec and dvd.

I decided to downsize my HT about a year ago. I have 2 great kids and just dont get to watch movies like I used to. I had Rotel seperates(RMB 1070, RMB-985mkII, 1055 Rec as preamp).

I dont miss the seperates, the Pioneer equipment sounds great to me. Biggest diffence I hear is that I cant push the volume quite to the same levels anymore, I never do anymore so it doesnt matter. Not to mention that I opened up 2 rack spaces.

Give them a try, Im sure they wont dissapoint.

Earle

James D S

Screenwriter
Hasn't Pioneer opted for a new builder with their recent lines? I'm not sure of the details, but the new Elites seemed very light, not near as robust as previous years.

I hope that's not indicitave of a quality downgrade. When Elites are becoming available at Best Buys, it generally means a change in strategy that doesn't bode well for the quality-conscious.

The 24TX I sold to a friend is still rocking his house. So your more general question about what I think about Elites is that I think they are solid performers that hold up to years of stress. I'm just concerned that the new models aren't up to the standards set by Pioneer's previous offerings.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I have been an Elite owner since '94. Never have had a problem with my stuff.
I just recently put in a 74 and 79 in a friends 20x25 HT room. We used the 74 as a pre and had a Rotel 1095 powering Paradigm Studio 100's and the rest of that package.
We took the amp out of the scenairo just for kicks, and at normal listening levels, didn't miss it. No, we didn't critcally listen to the differences, but watched LOTR for about 5 minutes and didn't have any complaints.

My buddy plugged in his Ipod and it is pretty cool how it interfaces with the receiver. We were running it from the 74's remote!

I think you'll be very happy with it. Makes me wonder why I use seperates.. well...almost.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
My one complaint about the 74txvi is that, unlike on my previous 47tx, you cannot force the receiver into DTS-ES if the disc has not been flagged as such. It will only let you play back in either DTS + Neo:6 or DTS + PLIIx.

On the other hand, if the disc is flagged as DTS-ES (either matrix or discrete) then the DTS + Neo:6 option disappears.

-Lyle J.P.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have been a Denon guy but over the past few years the Pioneer Elite gear. Has been a very attractive option to Denon. I like Pioneer Elite more than standard Sony, Kenwood and Onkyo. As long as the quality is still there I would say go for the Pioneer Elite. :D

Bob Barker

Auditioning
I just upgraded from a Pioneer Elite 47TX to a 74TXvi about 2 weeks ago. My main reason for upgrading was the digital capabilities of the 74. I bought a Pioneer Elite 1000HDI 50" plasma screen and a some other goodies in order to get into HDTV but the 47 won't handle HDMI and I was out of inputs for component video. I also have a DV59 DVD player, not the 79 you mention.

In short, I really like the Pioneer Elite gear. I have used Denon and Rotel in the past but prefer the PE. I also found that the 74 gave me a cleaner, crisper sound that the 47 and drives the room with at least as much power so I don't think that there is a new vs. old style issue.

Disclaimer: I didn't conduct scientific tests to arrive at my opinions. I used my own and my Wife's observations in a before and after setting using the same test segments and relied on our many years as casual audiofile enthusiasts.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
It is correct. BB does not sell Pioneer Elite. Only Magnolia within your local BB if you have one will sell Elites.

Regards,
orestes

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I think Pioneer should just get rid of the Elite line and just make them regular Pioneers like they do in other countries.:)

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
ok another question about the elite series does anybody own a A-35R its there integrated amp. just wondering if anybody has any opionions?

Corey-Reid

Stunt Coordinator
ive had the 74 for several months now. I love it.
I personally love the Ipod interface. I have tons of my music on a 40 gig ipod and it is AWESOME!

I am not an audiophile by any stretch, but I know what sounds good.

For those worried about this new model and its weight.... this ai a non issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks