What's new

Pioneer Elite: Hype or HomeTheater Heaven? (1 Viewer)

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently looking to upgrade my current sytem. My current system is as follows:
TV: 25" DAWOOE(SPELLING?)
DVD PLAYER: PANASONIC 32
A/V RECEIVER: AIWIA AVR 57
FRONT SPEAKERS: SONY 515
CENTER: MAGNAVOX BOOKSHELF(FROM BOOM BOX)
REAR: DCM BOOK SHELVES

I have been reading reviews on the Pioneer Elite Line. 95 percent of the reviews have been very positive. Yet, I have not seen a lot A/V receiver threads on this site in comparison to others like Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, B&K, Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Outlaw etc.

Does anyone have Piooner Elite? If so, what model? How does Pioneer Elite compare? If you are using pioneer Elite, what is your current set up?

What brand(s)sound as good or better at that price point?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Corey,

Are you planning an upgrade of the entire system or just the receiver? Any idea what your total budget might be for the upgrade?

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
I have been reviewing a few of the Pioneer Elite models...specifically the VSX-45TX. I have listened to the 45TX as well. I like much of what this receiver and others in its line (41,43,45,& 47TX models) offer. However, I have one qualm with this receiver...lack of RESERVE POWER. Take the 49 TX (their flagship unit)....its rated at 130W at 8 ohms and 160W at 6 ohms. I don't think that represents an ample amount of reserve power from a flagship 'Elite' series model. Pioneer only lists a 6 ohm power rating for the 47 & 49TX models and disregards the models below that. More than likely, the models below the 47TX perform worse. I had no choice but to move on.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Corey,

I own a Pioneer Elite 47TX, and really have been pleased with the receiver. I upgraded from a Sony DA50ES. Other models I considered were the Denon 4802 and the comparable Onkyo model (can't remember the number). The Pioneer won out because it had a few features I needed. Also, the MCACC auto-calibration feature has been very useful to help tame some room frequency response problems.

If you plan on upgrading your speakers, be aware that the Elites do not handle 4ohm speaker loads very well. If you end up purchasing such speakers, you should look elsewhere for a receiver or separate amps and processor.

The link in my signature shows the rest of my HT setup.

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
IIRC the 49tx actually came in at 144WPC 8ohm in S&V tests. It bested the Denon 5803

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

I am planning to update my entire system with the exception of the DVD Player. I currently have panasonic 62 in the bedroom. I'll just switch the two.

I plan to spend between $800-$1000 for my receiver.

I have not decided on the other components at this time.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Corey:

I have the 45 TX and I love it. I've accomplished extensive testing on it and I have found no weaknesses other than it does not handle 4 ohm and below speakers. Pioneer states this in their literature. On the other hand I have found many real strenghts. The best being the MCACC. I think its a real breakthrough in this level of receiver.

We've had extensive converstions about the shutdown issue on this forum and others. To get mine to shutdown - I have to be pushing the receiver above reference. I can reach 98 - 99 db average and 105 db peaks no problem. Above that I have experienced a shutdown but to do that I have cranked the bass and EQ ajustments on the 63 Hz level all the way up. This was really a crazy test and I don't recommend it and I won't do it again number one because its just too damn loud.

You won't be disappointed by the Pioneers. Just remember when buying components - the manufacturers not balancing your system. If you buy a Pair of Paradigm Studio 100's (which carry a recommendation of 200 WPC min.I believe)and put them with a 45, HK 525 or just about any other receiver and expect to drive them without clipping at very high volumes - your in for a suprise. Its kinds like putting a Mustang engine in a Lamborgini and expect it to perform the same. Thankfully the Pioneers shutdown when this condition happens and it avoids damage to your expensive speakers where other manufacturers just clip (which you could hear or not hear) and damage some fine speakers.

Good Luck!

Mike

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
My wife has worked for Pioneer in Springboro, Ohio, for nearly 15 years. I will be upgrading to a VSX-49TXi later this year.

I think Pioneer Elite 'IS' Home Theater Heaven!! Take a look at my set up, it's pretty obvious how I feel about Pioneer Elites:b

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I recently made the plunge and bought a 49txi. With my Klipsch speakers I am in heaven. the Receiver itself is extremely complicated but Pioneer has done an awesome job in making the user interface extemely EASY.

I truly feel the Pioneers performance FAR EXCEEDS all the hype that surrounds them.

Scott

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
I like the "sound" of ELITE amps with effeciant speakers, but they have difficulty with demanding passages and difficult loads. It is realatively easly for me to get them to clip....I sell Kenwood ,Yamaha, Denon and B&K as well...what speakers are you going to wind up using?

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 45TX with Energy Connoisseurs and it sounds great! Add the C-1's or C-3's to your audition list if you can.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Mike_Gr I'm gonna have to disagree with you about a LACK OF RESERVE POWER. As stated earlier the Pioneer 49TX out performed the Denon 5803 in power on the S&V test the Denon only did 118 per channel compared to it's rated 170w per channel while the Pioneer went above and beyond it's rated 130w per channel and did 144w per channel. So when they were exposed to the same test Pionner had MORE RESERVE POWER than the Denon so don't always believe the manufacturor stated power because sometimes the over do it (Denon) and sometimes they are conservative when they rate it (Pioneer). Plus as MikeRP he got his 45TX to get almost 100dB average which is insanely loud. I've also myself listend to movies very loud and have never noticed a LACK OF RESERVE POWER.

By the way Corey I didn't know there was any hype but it lives up to whatever hype there is.

Daniel Smith

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I plan to spend between $800-$1000 for my receiver.
at this price point, the obvious choice should be the Harman/Kardon AVR8000 from Onecall.com ($999). it was a hell of a receiver when it sold for $1800-2500, and it's a no-brainer for $1000. check the link thru the 'Deals Page' here on the HTF...$999 for the '8000 defines the word 'deal'!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
All:

I believe Pioneer has solved the shutdown issue with the 45 TX. Everyone who has a manufacture date of Oct 02 or greater has not reported problems.. This is important 'cause it is the only thing that was standing in the way of calling this a truly outstanding receiver in its price range.

My dealer replaced mine and as of yet I've had no shutdowns but I'm still testing.

The deal on the 8000 is great. I paid $1000 for my 45TX. But, I noticed last night that my dealer had it down to $850!

Great price.

If the 8000 would have been $999 when I was considering the 45, I would have bought it.

Now that I know the capabilities of the MCACC - I'm in doubt. With the 8000, you'll still have to purchase a seperate amp to get 7.1 but this receiver is a beast and I'd recommmed it to all at that price.

But, the Pioneer's need to be carefully considered because of the benefits of the MCACC.

The Pioneer at $850 and a 3 channel amp for that extra volume IMHO would be a serious competitor with the 8000 and a 2 channel amp. But, they are both great.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks