What's new

Pioneer Elite SC-95 (and possibly the 97 & 99) Network Problems (1 Viewer)

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
I recently purchased a Pioneer Elite SC-95. When I installed it I couldn't get it connected to my home network, either hardwired or via wifi. After exhausting my limited network troubleshooting skills, I contacted Pioneer. After 2 hours on the phone with a very pleasant tech support person, it was suggested that I return the unit to BB and get a new one, which I did. When I got it home, it exhibited the same issues.

Specifically, when I plug in to the ethernet port, I will get an IP address. When I try to browse to the ip, I can't get in. I did a ping and it returns 'destination host unreachable'. My router (TP-Link AC3200) shows the avr in the routing table but it does not show it logged in. I did a factory reset and same issue. One interesting test was that I did a ping -t and then factory reset the receiver. The avr, was able to hold on to the IP for a little while, long enough for me to get into the GUI, but after a minute or two, the response times on the ping -t would increase into the hundreds and then drop altogether.

I did some internet searching this morning and discovered a few people complaining of the same or very similar issues over on avs forums. Apparently, Pioneer is not yet acknowleding the issue and doesn't have a fix... There answer to customers, so far, seems to be return the unit for replacement. They are treating it as if maybe there's just a bad batch - which may be the case, not realy sure at the moment. The general consensus among the avr enthusiasts over on the avrforums is that it's a firmware issue.

Here is a link to the thread. It's not specifically dedicated to the issue, but the discussion around it is contained in the last 4-5 pages (page 12 and up).

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2123442-pioneer-elite-avr-s-sc-95-sc-97-sc-99-a-17.html

So far, it appears it's only the SC-95, but I thought I read a similar post by someone with a SC-97. I am contacting Pioneer again this evening to raise the issue and have a formal 'ticket' opened. I highly recommend that everyone that is experiencing this issue do the same. Pioneer won't respond with a fix unless they hear from a sufficient number of people. They can be reached at: 1-844-679-5350

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not overall surprising that there might be a "glitched batch". That happened to some Microsoft Surface Pro that needed a clean wipe...and reload.

You might try a manual firmware update(USB from a computer download). Worst that could do is reload the same glitches.

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
That's a good idea. I will look into that possibility tonight. I didn't think to write down the fw revision when I was able to connect so hopefully there's a newer revision available.

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
Well, after an hour and 45 minutes on hold waiting for a Pioneer tech support, I finally got through to a very polite a friendly guy named Ahmed. He told me this was his third call this week for the same issue and they are now logging all of them to be pushed up the chain. It sounds like they are taking this seriously and will see it through to resolution. If you haven't already, make sure you get a trouble ticket opened and get your ticket number. He said to expect a call within 48-72 hours... Methinks they will be busy in their labs for the next few days to weeks...

RaiderfanAz

Auditioning
Real Name
Doc
I purchased the SC-95 and had the same concern, my fix was to connect wireless. At first it would work doing a manual input or WPS, however, I did a work around by temporarily making my wireless connect open. This worked like a charm. It connect right away, I did the firmware update and then once that was down it allow me to connect direct wire or by selecting my wireless network with the security enable. I hope this helps.

FYI - I did return my SC-95 for the SC-97 because it went on sale for an additional $200 at BB. I got my UPS confirmation that it will be delivered today, I will let you know if the same thing happens with that one once it arrives. Happy Holidays!

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
I can report that there is a new firmware update from Pioneer for the SC-95 and 97 and after applying it, I can now connect via wired. I'll test wireless tomorrow as well as BT. And to make the night even better, Magnolia has dropped the retail price from $1599 for this receiver to $1099 and Best Buy confirmed they will refund me the difference in price!!! This is a fabulous end to my day!!!

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
Yes, indeed. It looks like the price beat your prediction ;-) I'm a little shocked, honestly. That model just came out in October and it already dropped $500.

ellayer

Auditioning
Real Name
ellay
Best Buy Magnolia dropped the price to 999 and I bought this Receiver without knowing about this Ethernet problem.
I haven't been able to get online even though the Network icon said I'm connected... and am glad to come across this post.
I checked the firmware and it is the latest (matched with Pioneer website).
Looks like I have to unplug everything and pack it up to return.

I recently purchased a Pioneer Elite SC-95. When I installed it I couldn't get it connected to my home network, either hardwired or via wifi. After exhausting my limited network troubleshooting skills, I contacted Pioneer. After 2 hours on the phone with a very pleasant tech support person, it was suggested that I return the unit to BB and get a new one, which I did. When I got it home, it exhibited the same issues.

Specifically, when I plug in to the ethernet port, I will get an IP address. When I try to browse to the ip, I can't get in. I did a ping and it returns 'destination host unreachable'. My router (TP-Link AC3200) shows the avr in the routing table but it does not show it logged in. I did a factory reset and same issue. One interesting test was that I did a ping -t and then factory reset the receiver. The avr, was able to hold on to the IP for a little while, long enough for me to get into the GUI, but after a minute or two, the response times on the ping -t would increase into the hundreds and then drop altogether.

I did some internet searching this morning and discovered a few people complaining of the same or very similar issues over on avs forums. Apparently, Pioneer is not yet acknowleding the issue and doesn't have a fix... There answer to customers, so far, seems to be return the unit for replacement. They are treating it as if maybe there's just a bad batch - which may be the case, not realy sure at the moment. The general consensus among the avr enthusiasts over on the avrforums is that it's a firmware issue.

Here is a link to the thread. It's not specifically dedicated to the issue, but the discussion around it is contained in the last 4-5 pages (page 12 and up).

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...oneer-elite-avr-s-sc-95-sc-97-sc-99-a-17.html

So far, it appears it's only the SC-95, but I thought I read a similar post by someone with a SC-97. I am contacting Pioneer again this evening to raise the issue and have a formal 'ticket' opened. I highly recommend that everyone that is experiencing this issue do the same. Pioneer won't respond with a fix unless they hear from a sufficient number of people. They can be reached at: 1-844-679-5350

charleyp1

Agent
Real Name
Charley
Best Buy Magnolia dropped the price to 999 and I bought this Receiver without knowing about this Ethernet problem.
I haven't been able to get online even though the Network icon said I'm connected... and am glad to come across this post.
I checked the firmware and it is the latest (matched with Pioneer website).
Looks like I have to unplug everything and pack it up to return.
That's a good price for a great receiver. Sorry you're having that issue as well. It's pretty annoying. The firmware update fixed it for me and most others. I wonder if something else is wrong with your unit specifically? I'd definitely return it for another one. This is the best receiver I've ever owned and worth finding one that isn't a lemon. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks