What's new

Pioneer Elite DV-59AI Question (1 Viewer)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question about the Pioneer Elite DV-59AI DVD player. When I use the HDMI connection to connect it to my PRO-730HDI RPTV it locks into full mode. I was happy that I upgraded my RPTV because it doesn't lock into full mode when using progessive scan. Is there anyway to control the screen mode so it doesn't lock into full mode using the HDMI connection?

For non-anamorphic DVDs I'm having to change the screen mode to Widescreen compressed to use the HDMI connection. Unfortunately that makes it windowbox the picture on the sides also making the picture smaller.

As far as the DVD player goes it doesn't have the chroma noise problem in red areas of the picture that Elite DVD players have had in the past. I remember reading they used the Faroudja processor in this DVD player but can't find it on Pioneer's site now to confirm.

When upconverting DVDs to 1080i using the HDMI connection I was really surprised how much better the upconversion made the DVDs look. Wow! I'm really glad I took the plunge. It was really worth the money. I guess it's as close to hi-def as I can get until real hi-def DVDs come out.

If anyone knows the answer to my locking in full mode using the HDMI question let me know. That's the only thing I can't figure out & am not as happy with. Most of my DVDs are anamorphic but I'd like to use Cinema Mode for my non-anamorphic ones so the picture doesn't shrink.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Will I want to watch DVDs upconverted to 1080i. That's the reason I bought this DVD player. It has a chip in it that can upconvert DVDs to 1080i hi-def quality. Is there anyway to control screen mode in 1080i?

greg_t

Screenwriter

It's doing this because you are inputting a 1080i signal.
The Elite locks into Full mode with a 1080i signal. You cannot change it at 1080i. You will have to use a 480i/480p signal for non-anamaphoric dvd's. It is not really connction related. For example, I have an Elite 530 and when using the Zenith 318 via component at 1080i I also get locked into full mode. Most RPTV's lock into full at 1080i.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the answer to my questions. I'll probably leave it at 1080i & use the widescreen compressed mode. It will windowbox it on the sides also but the picture is still incredible.

I finally got to see "Titanic" look great with no jagged edges. The picture was unbelievable.

I'm glad they finally went to the Faroudja chip so there isn't anymore red chroma problem. Everything is smooth & looks great. I'm really glad I made the investment. If real high-def DVDs are going to look better than this I can't wait.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Right. That's what I thought as well. And unless I read the review incorrectly, I thought that the DV-59AVi failed some chroma tests on the Home Theater Secrets Progressive Shootout.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks