What's new

Pioneer 1021 Wireless Question... (2 Viewers)

derrell*

Auditioning
Hello. Can you use wireless speakers with this Pioneer 1021 receiver? If so, is there anything that needs to be done or added to in order for the wireless speakers to work? Thanks...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wireless speakers should work with any receiver or source than can connect to them, so the answer is: it depends on the speakers, not the receiver.

derrell*

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. I'm planning on using only wireless for the 2 rear speakers. So, I guess what you are saying is that I don't need any special adapter, and that the 2 rear speakers will play automatically? Again, thanks...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Derrell, are you setting up a 5.1 or 7.1 system? If 5.1 you should know that the "surround" speakers really ought to be placed to the sides of the listening position, not behind (see these placement guidelines from Dolby).

Of course, room geometry frequently trumps placement guidelines, but just thought you should know.

Which wireless system are you considering? Do you already have it? Are you aware that most "wireless" systems still require the speakers be connected to the wireless receiver unit with regular speaker wire and the wireless receiver unit will need to be plugged into a wall outlet for power?

You may already know these things, but we often get a lot of inquiries about "wireless" systems from folks who think they truly are completely wireless and have no idea how they actually work.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jason Charlton said:
Derrell, are you setting up a 5.1 or 7.1 system?  If 5.1 you should know that the "surround" speakers really ought to be placed to the sides of the listening position, not behind (see these placement guidelines from Dolby). Of course, room geometry frequently trumps placement guidelines, but just thought you should know.
Dolby is also generally recommending bi/dipole surrounds, so side mounting does not necessarily apply for monopoles, which are the only type of wireless powered speakers you are likely to find (aside from buying a wireless system, amp, and speakers yourself). Bi/dipoles can also be mounted behind, it just requires more careful placement and calibration. I personally prefer monopoles, and I have a 5.1 setup with monopoles to the sides and behind, and it works perfectly. Their guidelines show the rears pointed at the listener. I do not recommend this, they should be pointing more toward the center of the room, but not right to your ears. It gives good directionality while not being "in your ear".
Which wireless system are you considering?  Do you already have it?  Are you aware that most "wireless" systems still require the speakers be connected to the wireless receiver unit with regular speaker wire and the wireless receiver unit will need to be plugged into a wall outlet for power? You may already know these things, but we often get a lot of inquiries about "wireless" systems from folks who think they truly are completely wireless and have no idea how they actually work.
Agreed. At the very least, you will still have one wire that goes between the two speakers. The speakers should come with the transmitter and either have the receiver built in or included, and yes, they will need to be plugged in.

derrell*

Auditioning
This will be a 7.1. I do not have any speakers yet. Any suggestions on which speakers to buy?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I know RocketFish makes this wireless "kit" that consists of the wireless transmitter that gets plugged into your receiver, and the receiver unit which plugs into the back wall, and receives the signal from the front of the room.

I verified the product documentation (here) and it should work with your system - it connects using the regular speaker wire connections at both ends.

A kit like this allows you to use whatever speakers you may already have as the back surrounds. While I don't have any direct experience with this sort of system, I like this approach in that you don't have to compromise the quality of the speakers.

A quick look at systems that included speakers all seemed to include pretty low-end speakers. Granted, for rear surrounds in a 7.1 system, you don't really need to "match" the speakers to the rest in the system, but if you can find a good package deal on a 7.1 speaker set, you may be better off.

If you give us an idea of budget, we can probably offer additional speaker options.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-5-Plus http://www.aperionaudio.com/catalog/Wireless-Systems,88.aspx

derrell*

Auditioning
I've taken all that's been said into consideration and have researched items suggested. I came across this set. What do ya'll think? The room size I'll have it in is 20x25. Thanks... http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TL1600/Polk-Audio-Blackstone-TL1600.html?search=Blackstone+TL1600+5.1&tp=184

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Polk makes some decent speakers, but for a room that size, the 8" subwoofer, IMO, is inadequate. Generally, I'm not a fan of picking up speaker "systems" that include a subwoofer, because most speaker manufacturers don't make very good subwoofers.

Bought separately, you can get the 4 satellites and matching center for about $420.

For $130 you can get this 12" Dayton sub which would be a marked improvement.

For about $50 more, you can also opt for the Bic F-12 which is arguably one of the best performers under $200.

The most important thing is to try and listen to speakers before you get them. I know that's not always possible, but there's only so much specs alone can tell you (subwoofers aside - specs are much more meaningful for them).

derrell*

Auditioning
Interesting. I see your point. I checked out the Dayton speaker and looks good. You mentioned 4 satellites and matching center: What brand do you recommend for my size room. At this time, I'm not going to get wireless rear speakers as was discussed earlier. That will come later. Again, thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks