What's new

Pinocchio Blu Ray replacement disc for missing lines of dialogue? (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The corrected copies must have been done quite some time ago. I picked up my copy @ Best Buy in April or May of 2009. It was my "free" disc with a purchase of a Panasonic Blu-ray player. I checked it out last night, and the missing lines of dialog are there on the Blu-ray. However, they are missing on the included DVD version.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Originally Posted by David_B_K

The corrected copies must have been done quite some time ago. I picked up my copy @ Best Buy in April or May of 2009. It was my "free" disc with a purchase of a Panasonic Blu-ray player. I checked it out last night, and the missing lines of dialog are there on the Blu-ray. However, they are missing on the included DVD version.

According to a posting at AVS which compared the original and corrected disc, the latter one was dated about a month later, IIRC.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit

The corrected copies must have been done quite some time ago. I picked up my copy @ Best Buy in April or May of 2009.

Adding to what little we know:

I own 2 copies of Pinocchio on Blu-ray. The first, bought at release from Amazon, is missing the dialogue. No surprise there.

However, I just went and checked my second copy -- in the SteelBook case, bought from Best Buy about 6 months later. Bingo! Both "Right!" and "Look out, Pinoke!" are clearly there.

I can't remember exactly when I bought the SteelBook, but I've had it for well over a year.

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by ahollis

As I said in post 20, I posted a clip on youtube almost 2 months ago and it's still there. Now that we know some people have got the corrected disc very early on, it's safe to say that Disney is playing dumb with us. So somebody please grab a camcorder and DO IT. Show the evidence to Disney's face and hope the ensuing embarrassment of seeing the existence of a correct disc which no one in Disney even knew about would finally lead to our disc replacements. This is a home theater forum so I should assume many of you have the ability to shoot a video.

Oh, early in the thread I mentioned someone at the Ultimate Disney forum got the corrected disc in August and no one here believed him/her. We do now, don't we?

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by cafink

It's weird, though, that the guy on dvdizzy.com claims to have received a corrected copy. Here's what I think happened (I mentioned it above, but I don't think I explained it very clearly):

1. Guy reads online that the Pinocchio Blu-ray has an audio problem.
  2. Guy calls Disney customer service to complain about said audio problem.
  3. Disney customer rep doesn't know what guy is talking about, but hears the word "defect" and offers to send a replacement disc per standard operating procedure for defective products.
  4. Guy receives "replacement" Blu-ray in the mail. It's the exact same disc he had before, but he doesn't actually know the difference and assumes he now has a "corrected" Blu-ray.

Any other opinions? I'm assuming something like the above happened because, again, I haven't heard of corrected version being available, and I'm sure something like that would have been reported on the HTF. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Care to revise your assumptions?? Multiple people on this very thread have said they had received correct discs as early as April 2009.

HTF is not the only place you can find trustworthy people, you know.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I never claimed that the HTF was the only place I could find trustworthy people. At the time I originally posted that, there was only one guy claiming to have a corrected copy, providing only vague information, while everyone else was reporting from no less an authority than Disney themselves that no corrected copy exists. I asked what other thought of the situation and proffered a guess myself, based on the information that was available at the time. I never claimed it was anything more than a guess.

Now that we have more information, it's obvious that a corrected copy does exists. I'm quite pleased to learn that, and in fact, have it on my way from Amazon as I type this.

Of course, there are still unanswererd questions, like why Disney's customer service representatives appear to be largely unaware of the corrected discs?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
In case anyone is interested, I just received from Amazon the Pinocchio Blu-ray, which I ordered on Monday. Unfortunately, it's the old, uncorrected version, which is missing those two lines. So I guess Amazon still has some of the old version, too.

I'm going to try exchanging it through Amazon, and if the second copy is also the defective version, I'll try DIsney, instead.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I will speculate it depends on which warehouse they ship your copy from. (My amazon mid-November '10 copy was uncorrected BTW.) amazon has some VERY old stock of some titles...occasionally advantageous.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by cafink

It's weird, though, that the guy on dvdizzy.com claims to have received a corrected copy. Here's what I think happened (I mentioned it above, but I don't think I explained it very clearly):

1. Guy reads online that the Pinocchio Blu-ray has an audio problem.
  2. Guy calls Disney customer service to complain about said audio problem.
  3. Disney customer rep doesn't know what guy is talking about, but hears the word "defect" and offers to send a replacement disc per standard operating procedure for defective products.
  4. Guy receives "replacement" Blu-ray in the mail. It's the exact same disc he had before, but he doesn't actually know the difference and assumes he now has a "corrected" Blu-ray.

Any other opinions? I'm assuming something like the above happened because, again, I haven't heard of corrected version being available, and I'm sure something like that would have been reported on the HTF. Has anyone heard otherwise?
Carl, I know this was an old post of yours; and that you are now aware of the corrected discs. Here is my opinion of what happened:

5. Disney rep mentions to supervisor the "defective disc issue".

6. Supervisor asks the Quality Control Department if they've heard about it.

7. This gets back to the people that dinked around with the audio in the first place; they check out the disc and realize they are in deep merde.

8. They quickly and surreptitiously "fix" the audio, and all new disc pressings from that point onward are the correct ones.

9. People call Disney and report "the problem". Disney reps say "what problem? All our discs have the so-called missing lines."

This was a CYA operation, IMO

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Here is my opinion of what happened:
5. Disney rep mentions to supervisor the "defective disc issue".

6. Supervisor asks the Quality Control Department if they've heard about it.

7. This gets back to the people that dinked around with the audio in the first place; they check out the disc and realize they are in deep merde.

8. They quickly and surreptitiously "fix" the audio, and all new disc pressings from that point onward are the correct ones.

9. People call Disney and report "the problem". Disney reps say "what problem? All our discs have the so-called missing lines."

This was a CYA operation, IMO

Except, David, that the customer reps I talked to several weeks ago knew their discs had the problem and denied that there were any corrected discs.

It would be hard to figure how that strategy could work to their advantage. It's kind of strange they wouldn't have used your suspected strategy (flipping it around that "there's nothing to see here. Everything's fine."). But to acknowledge the problem and deny that it's been fixed--when it has--is odd to say the least.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Wow, I've always experienced good customer service from Amazon, but they got me a replacement Pinocchio Blu-ray unbelievably quickly. I submitted my request for an exchange yesterday afternoon (only a little before posting here), and the replacement disc was waiting for me when I got home from work today.

Unfortunately, the replacement copy is still the defective version. It seems kind of pointless to keep sending it back to Amazon. Any other suggestions? Has anyone had any luck contacting Disney?

Thanks.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I contacted Disney via their website, and received the following e-mail in response:

Dear Carl,

Thank you for the e-mail regarding your Pinocchio DVD. We are concerned about your inquiry and would like an opportunity to address this issue with greater detail. We are currently researching the issues that you are describing. We ask that you please send us your full mailing address and phone number so that we may contact you as soon as we have a resolution.

If you have any other questions you may also contact us at 1-800-723-4763, Mondays 9:30-7:30 and Tuesday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST.

Thank you,

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Technical Support

I guess that's good news. We'll see what happens.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Ordered my copy from Amazon last week. Arrived on Saturday. Was relieved to see that it is the corrected version. So that's all well and good.

On the downside, it just hit me that I spent $30 to fix two lines of dialogue.

-R

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just got around to checking the Blu-ray I bought back in May of 2009 and of course it is missing the dialog. I do wish Disney would do a replacement program but it is highly doubtful they would this late in the game especially since it's going on moratorium soon. I'm not going to spend the money on the roulette wheel chance of getting a corrected copy, so I'll just have to vocally supply the missing lines myself yelling out "Right!" and "Look out, Pinoke!" at the appropriate times.

There's an issue I don't think anybody has addressed in this thread. Since the lines are also missing in the mono soundtrack, Disney is not, in fact, giving us the "Restored Original Theatrical Soundtrack" that they proclaim, but obviously the new mix flattened down to mono. I'd call that false advertising. To be able to call it the original theatrical soundtrack they should use the original sound mix and clean it up as best as possible.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I sent the defective Pinocchio BD back to Disney two Saturdays ago. One week later I got my replacement Blu-ray from Disney. Just to let you all know that Disney will exchange the defective copy for either a replacement or, if you've ordered a second copy, they'll exchange it for another Disney Blu-ray.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jaxon's Dad

Doug: When did you get wind of this? Or, did you just decide to send it on your own?

Are there specific instructions for how to send it back? With/without packaging, etc? Specific address?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

[url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/306228/pinocchio-blu-ray-replacement-disc-for-missing-lines-of-dialogue/90#post_3765783]http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/306228/pinocchio-blu-ray-replacement-disc-for-missing-lines-of-dialogue/90#post_3765783

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/306228/pinocchio-blu-ray-replacement-disc-for-missing-lines-of-dialogue/90#post_3766061

Of course, there's no guarantee the replacement disc will be the corrected version though.

_Man_

Porfirio

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Doug: When did you get wind of this? Or, did you just decide to send it on your own?

Are there specific instructions for how to send it back? With/without packaging, etc? Specific address?

Do you have to send both discs or just the Blu-ray disc?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks