What's new

Pictur Quality without Squeeze Feature (1 Viewer)

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
I was in the market for a new 36" TV and was looking at the Panasonic 36HX42. I know this model lacks the squeeze feature that its predecessor had, but was wondering the following. Will the picture produced from a progressive scan dvd player, without the squeeze be equivalent or better than that produced by a non-progressive dvd player with the squeeze. I have an Sony 36" nonHDTV which performs the squeeze right now and was wondering if I would at least would get the same or better picture quality with my dvds. As a side note, I have focused in on the 36HX42 because it is the only 36" HDTV that will fit my entertainment center.

Thanks,
Chris

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Without the squeeze, the player will have to perform the downconversion routine itself to scale a 16:9-encoded DVD's picture properly, resulting in a net loss of more than 30 percent in resolution. Even if the picture is progressively scanned, you still lose information.

The only way to get the most out of a 16:9-encoded DVD is to be able to view it properly in a 16:9 window, with all 480 lines of resolution present and accounted for.

I'd opt for a set that can perform the "squeeze" from its user-control menu.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Especially at that size of screen, the difference between interlaced and progressive is going to be minor.
If a 36" direct view is the only set that will fit your entertainment center, maybe you should put a motorized screen in front of the entertainment center and buy a front projector. The cost would be only a few thousand dollars more, and you can get a pretty good price on young children these days, if you have any. :)
Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks