What's new

Picnic At Hanging Rock: 2-Disc Collector's Edition (Region 4) (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member

Picnic At Hanging Rock: 2-Disc Collector's Edition

Criterion Forum info

I can't seem to ascertain if it anamorphic 1.77:1 or letterbox. I have the anamorphic British edition and I also have the anamorphic German edition which has an amazing transfer and the deleted scenes which are dubbed into German with no subtitles. But, I went ahead and ordered the Australian edition.

This is one of my most favourite films. I have been obsessed with the real life story and film for years. To me, this story epitomizes the mystery of this Universe. What happened to those girls? It's a truly perplexing enigma.

Picnic At Hanging Rock is one of the most sensually beautiful yet, disturbing films ever made. I feel sure that I will never overcome its power.

With that said, I am ecstatic about this new DVD edition. The price was good too - £12.90 from Atlantic DVD

Great news for fans.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Nice post.

After the Criterion, UK and Dutch editions, I am still undecided about buying the Australian or the German dvd, or both.....

Please be sure to post some enlightening info when you receive it, Gordon. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Gordon,

I'm sorry to break it to you, but the film is based on a fictional novel by Joan Lindsay. There is no "real life story".

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely be picking this up. This is one of my very favorite films and the extras on disc 2 look fantastic! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Gordon, according to this, it is 16x9 enhanced:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/228235

I will be getting one of these-it is one of my favorites. I have lost hope at the many suggestions to Criterion they do an anamorphic edition, with at least the deleted scenes, if not a commentary.

edit-I have decided to get the German for its transfer, and the Oz for its extras...

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I have the new DVD it is NOT 16x9 enhanced. Rather it is letterboxed 1.77:1. It looks better than the Criterion DVD, though it doesn't have (or need) a 5.1 mix. The reason for purchasing the disc is the excellent 2 hour making of documentary on the second disc.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Julian,

Can you tell us more about the soundtrack on the new disc? The film was originally mono, but the Japanese LD (with the longer, original cut and mono soundtrack) is not only from a worn & battered theatrical print, it also sounds like there are possibly dialogue intelligibility problems due to a muddy mix. Then again, this could be due to the age of the print and nothing else. The Criterion LD had a stereo mix (not sure if it was Dolby Surround encoded or not) and the Criterion DVD of course has the 5.1. Both new mixes were made under the supervision of Peter Weir.

Does the new DVD have a stereo mix? A mono mix seems unlikely, since the only mono mix so far corresponds to the longer, non-Director's Cut version of the film.

This film is one of the rare cases where I prefer the revised version to the authentic original, because the story does grind to a halt when the unnecessary sub-plot (which was removed from the DC) kicks in. I understand Mr. Weir wanted to remove that scene at the last minute before the film's original theatrical release, but was denied permission by the powers that be.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Damn-that pisses me! Who in their right minds would put out a non-anamorphic DVD of such a lovely film in this day and age?

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The sound is basically mono with a slight surround feel. The sound was originally mono, so I have no problems with the track on the R4 DVD. The making of documentary is excellent, but it's a shame that the film isn't 16:9. The transfer is closer to 1.70 than 1.77:1 (which is the ratio stated on the box cover).

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Julian, is the transfer as good as, or better than the CRITERION-IYHO...?
-----

For myself, the film slows to a crawl after they find Irma.

I rather liked the detail (cut from the DC) of the fact that the young rich fellow (Tom?) has no interest in the rescued girl's romantic longings-as he has one himself-for Miranda.

And we see how class differences make Michaels' exceptionally low self esteem in the prescence of his 'betters'
company very uncomfortable...

I aslo liked the mystery of the barely audible crash (that was also removed) when you realize Sarah has jumped to her death through the greenhouse roof...

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Yeah, but that one doesn't have brilliant extras. ;)

Damn, I've already bought three dvd editions of this movie, and I don't like the idea of not being able to buy one 'optimal' edition.....

I'll probably be buying both the R4 and German releases in the future, but for now I'll resist.....

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator
I understand exactly what you say :)

However, it's only €9 from www.amazon.de

When I say it's got a great transfer, I mean it will blow your socks off if you compare it with the Criterion (or any other version I've seen). It glows.

Het is groot! :D

Manus

Second Unit
I can't help feeling that its a bit of a missed opportunity really. Why no commentary ? Why non-anamorphic when on several occasions in the documentary the difficulties of filming , lighting etc are commented on.

Fabulous movie though,
Manus

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Weir is not fond of commentaries (he has only done one, for Dead Poets Society), which is why there is a documentary on the disc instead. Certainly, though, the R4 DVD was a missed opportunity as far as the transfer is concerned.

Manus

Second Unit
O.K. no commentary then , but wouldn't Peter weir or at least his D.P Russell Boyd be involved in the german anamorphic print and particularly the 5.1 mix ? Really is such a pity when you sit and watch a new set and suddenly realise that you already know you're going to have to buy it again :frowning:

Manus

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In the UK, Second Sight is set to release a 3-disc set of 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' in June with most of the extras from the R4 set, deleted scenes, the director's cut PLUS the original theatrical version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks