What's new

Physical Media might not be dead, but Physical Media in Retail Stores are accelerating the death (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
You put the LP in a slot and the laser followed along in the groove. I remember reading a review, in a magazine and the reviewer saying there was no point to it because CDs had been invented.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
You put the LP in a slot and the laser followed along in the groove. I remember reading a review, in a magazine and the reviewer saying there was no point to it because CDs had been invented.
The technology has been used, however, for playing old wax cylinders that are too precious to put a needle to. But only one time to digitize it.:P

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I remember reading about those Laser turntables in Audio and Stereo Review magazines. They sounded quite cool - but should have come out a few years earlier to have any impact. They were also a very niche product for a small group of analogophiles. I'd have loved to see and hear one working.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
According to the article, you heard every dust mote, finger print and scratch very clearly as well!
Yep. The absolute downside. You'd still have to clean them somehow. I had an anti-static mat, a Zerostat anti-static gun, and cleaned with the Discwasher system (album and stylus) every time I played a side. In a slot system you'd need an old turntable just to do the cleaning bit. I also used an in-line pop/tick remover (I don't recall the name off hand - will look when I get home tonight) which worked fairly well. I still have it all.

**EDIT**
That device is a SAE 5000A Impulse Noise Reduction System. I'd sometimes invert the signal, where you heard nothing but the pops/ticks it was removing from the signal, just for fun. It didn't remove everything but with careful adjustment it did a good job.

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
According to the article, you heard every dust mote, finger print and scratch very clearly as well!
That would be my deal breaker. I have an album of my uncles (along with some other local St. Louis groups) doing gospel music. It's atrocious soundwise due to never having a cover. Software can only do so much. The laser TT sounded promising about being to read "fresh" parts of the record, but it said they had to be thoroughly cleaned. Even at that I don't believe it would be a good bet.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I was an audiophile with the most expensive “Dual” turntable, “Shure” cartridge, huge speakers in my first apartment and almost no other furniture. I too de-popped, used an anti-static gun etc. etc.

I was thrilled when all that got swept into the garbage heap of history by CDs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I was an audiophile with the most expensive “Dual” turntable, “Shure” cartridge, huge speakers in my first apartment and almost no other furniture. I too de-popped, used an anti-static gun etc. etc.

Going on a huge tangent.

Did you have a preamp which did NOT have any treble + bass controls? :)

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name

Yet there's so much stuff that will never make it to CD, especially regional 45's and LP's, plus the Hank Williams, Sr. overdubs will likely never see a CD release.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I remember reading some years ago that Kodak was working on a system that would record digital data onto 35mm film, an attempt to combine the best of both worlds. Of course, you'd still need some device to read the data, but it seemed to make sense as a longer term storage solution. Don't know whatever became of it, though.
They were. I knew a couple people who worked it.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Yet there's so much stuff that will never make it to CD, especially regional 45's and LP's, plus the Hank Williams, Sr. overdubs will likely never see a CD release.
Before I sold my record collection, I “CDed” everything I could not replace.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Before I sold my record collection, I “CDed” everything I could not replace.
I've dwindled my collection a lot lately. So much stuff can be had digitally these days on YouTube. There are some things I'll never get rid of, but I went through my 45's the other day and donated probably at least 50 of those. I couldn't tell you how many 8-tracks and LP's I've donated to charity lately.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Just a receiver.

I guess you weren't one of those hardcore audiophile weirdos/nerds. :)

I never quite understood as to why somebody would pay $1000+ for a Bryston preamp, just to have the "previlege" of not having any treble and bass controls.

I had one acquaintance who made such a purchase. When I ask him about it, he gave a nonsensical answer along the lines of "audio purity". No matter how many times I asked him to explain it more clearly, he still gave nonsensical replies. (If I didn't know any better, I would have thought he was a "fanatic" of an "ideological audio purity", for lack of a better description).

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Disney+ another nail in the coffin of physical media with exclusive deleted scenes?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Disney+ another nail in the coffin of physical media with exclusive deleted scenes?

Doubtful. Different formats (ie. Blu ray, HD DVD, 4k) have all had exclusive bonus features. And the previous generation of physical media is still there.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I don't think enough people care about bonus features for it to sway them. I usually watch the deleted scenes when they're included on discs, but I can live without them if it means yet another streaming subscription.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
Today we got a new reason. Future streamers will get to enjoy their movies edited to make them pc. Disney will edit Dumbo to remove the crow scene. My physical copy has it and will continue to have it.
I am much more concerned about the precedent this sets. As I said in another post - this scares the crap out of me.

+1 Exactly this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks