1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Physical Media might not be dead, but Physical Media in Retail Stores are accelerating the death

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by mrz7, Mar 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. stringbean

stringbean Stunt Coordinator

Snorbitz
  2. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    You know you're linking to an article from April, right? WAY before the service debuted...and this article has now been proven as 100% incorrect.

Hallelujah. Thank you for saying it before I could.

3. stringbean

Snorbitz
    But the mere fact it was debated and continues to do so means there is always the possibility of these cuts taking place. This is just one instance,..

Jack K, Suzanne.S and cajunhillbilly like this.
  4. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Not really. It was always in the rumor category. It never came from any official Disney source as far as I remember.

5. stringbean

Snorbitz
    Yes,..this is true, it was just a rumour but we avid collectors of physical media are always cautious! It might be alright, 'This Time',..but you just never know.

Jack K likes this.
  6. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Right. You never know. And I will never advocate against physical anything. But in this case, the rumor was 100% wrong and should not be used in any argument or debate regarding physical or streaming.

And with that, I'm done with this conversation.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  7. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    True, but it does cut both ways. If you want to see the original theatrical cut of The Warriors, for example, you're out of luck on blu-ray. But it is available on iTunes.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  8. stringbean

Snorbitz
    For a short while until the license runs out. :P

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

No. That's like saying it's legit to ask someone "so when did you stop beating your wife?"

Because someone can always say, "I know he denied it, but the fact that it was asked and continues to be discussed make it a legit concern."

The Disney edits to Dumbo were fiction.

10. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    You’re confusing iTunes, which is a purchase site equivalent to buying a physical disc, with Netflix or Disney+ subscription services, which are the present day equivalent to cable TV.

If you purchase a movie on iTunes, it’s yours. Even if the movie’s ownership changes hands, even if the studio decides to put it out of print so that no new copies may be sold, you still have your copy.

Movies used to play on rotation in cable all the time, sometimes edited, and then disappear from the channel. That’s what subscription streaming is.

It doesn’t help the discussion to conflate the two, or to blame one service for not providing something it never intended to provide.

11. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    I strongly suspect this is this case. Though with that being said.

This is why I still buy paper books for non-fiction and highly technical subjects.

For digital ebooks I read such as Star Wars, Star Trek, etc ... and other fictional type stuff, I largely don't care anymore about reading it again for more details and "learning". I'm not hardcore enough of a "canon lawyer" in regard to the intricacies of the Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, DC, etc .... universes. (Especially when such canon can be wiped out with a "hard reset" by the original copyright owners, such as what happens with various DC "crisis on infinite earths" events or the Disney/Lucasfilm expanded universe decanonization in 2014).

For non-fiction subjects where I don't care much about going further into the intricate details, I'll read ebook (or pdf) versions of such books.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  12. mark27b

mark27b Stunt Coordinator

Mark Pledger
  13. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    This isn't too surprising, considering that most of the dvd-video patents have expired already. Currently it is possible to make a computer dvd-rom drive which can read only dvd-rom discs (ie. not burned), which is basically patent-free.

Most of these fees in the process of manufacturing pressed discs, are obviously the patent holders collecting royalties.

The earliest bluray might go patent-free, is sometime after 2030.

Tony Bensley and Darby67 like this.
  14. Message #694 of 814 Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Thanks for the link/post. Very informative article. And, this makes perfect sense - especially given that less people are buying physical media anyway due to the increasing ease/popularity of streaming in the past 5-8 years.

Going along with this, I have noticed that - unfortunately - Blu-ray has not gotten nearly as popular as we HD fans would have liked, especially given that it's a 14-year old format at this point (it began in 2006). This is despite the fact that Blu players are backwards-compatible, and that people can play both Blu's & DVD's on their players. Also going along with this, when I got to brick & mortar stores to shop around for physical media (i.e. Big Lots, Target, Wal-mart, etc.) in all cases I see more DVD titles, and not nearly as many Blu titles. Even now, Blu is almost a niche format; you need to go online to get many of the titles - even those that aren't that obscure.

In closing - as a huge fan of many TV shows, it is disappointing that many older & newer ones aren't released to Blu. That being said, in many cases some shows/seasons of shows aren't on regular DVD either. So, if some shows only get a physical media release on DVD, at least that's better than nothing.

15. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    On another thread, someone posted a list of physical media sales from 2019- Avengers Endgame sold almost 3.8 million units, with an estimated 65% BluRay, 35% DVD split. This means that about 2.456 million BluRays of
    Avengers Endgame sold. Physical media isn’t dying just yet.

16. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    If physical media were truly dying, would they go to the trouble to introduce yet another new format that puts movie theater-quality picture in sound in the palm of your hand?

It is FUD, pure and simple.

17. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    That's about a third of what titles like Avatar and Frozen sold a few years ago.

Tony Bensley and Josh Steinberg like this.
  18. Message #698 of 814 Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    All this ^ and other films regularly released on bluray, suggests there is a large enough number of hardcore fans of superhero, horror, scifi, and other genre type stuff who are willing to spend cash on bluray discs. Action movies to some extent too, which is not too genre specific.

For other stuff which is not genre specific (ie. not superhero, not scifi, not fantasy, not horror, etc ...) nor action, the bluray versions (if they exist) are somewhat less certain of the volume of customers.

(As an leading indicator of this).

Over the years from looking at all the releases with special packaging versions, etc ... they appear to be almost always bluray since 2016 or so. Since then, I rarely ever see dvd-only versions of superhero, action, etc ... newly released movies in special packaging.

As an example of this in region 1 or A, the last big tv show complete series sets with special packaging that I remember seeing widely available (such as at costco) as dvd-only versions, was stuff like Spartacus, Mad Men, Downton Abby, and Sons of Anarchy. Fast forward to the current day, The Big Bang Theory complete series set only had the special packaging version as bluray, while the dvd-only version was just a generic giant box set.

(By "generic giant box set", I mean either the discs were packed into several giant generic 24+ (or 10) discs cases, or it was all the original dvd sets repackaged into a giant box).

More generally, I always thought that anything that was released with special packaging was usually targeting the hardcore crowd. In the case of superhero, horror, scifi, fantasy, etc .... type stuff, this is not too surprising where hardcore "collector" types are buying everything released in that specific niche (such as blurays with special packaging, comic books, tshirts, toy figurines, etc .... without opening up the package in some cases).

Tony Bensley likes this.
  19. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I’d buy “The Orville” again if it ever came to Blu ray. Both seasons of this SciFi show are only available as DVDs.

Suzanne.S likes this.
  20. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Some shows shot on tape I'd settle for DVDs of just to have them finished. But after Fraggle Rock and Monty Python's Flying Circus, I say that if you can get higher resolution, then do it.

Tony Bensley and Jeff Flugel like this.