What's new

Photoshop "Unsharp Mask"/Edge Enhancement (1 Viewer)

Danny_Tam

Agent
Hey guys,
I've read a few FAQ's that draw a comparison between edge enhancement and the "Unsharp Mask" feature in Photoshop, which 'sharpens' the image but in reality is giving you less detail.
If I take a somewhat blurred photo and sharpen it up slightly, am I automatically decreasing its detail? Or is only up to the point where I start seeing the ringing that quality has been compromised?
I would appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me. :)
Dan

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ken Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
Unsharp masking is by far better than using sharpening. If a photo is too out of focus nothing will help it. I usually experiment with different settings to see it looks. Now a good monitor helps you see the results better of course. A good book on Photoshop will give you a good place to start. I've read somewhere that if you run unsharp masking twice at lower settings you sometimes get better results. Happy editing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks