What's new

Phosphor fade? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a Toshiba 32A60 standard tv and I have noticed during dark scenes lighter elements persist on the screen and then fade out. For example, during a typical Buffy dialogue scene with alternating over the shoulder head shots, a ghost image of the previous shot will be there after cutting to the other person. The image shows up because the area that had the first person's face is a now a dark area in the shot. The fade out rate is about a second. Is this something I can remedy with the picture controls (like changing the brightness or contrast) or is this a problem with Toshiba tubes? I guess I can always experiment but input is always appreciated.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
All phosphors have some persistance or afterglow, some more than others. The advantage of this is less flicker; the drawback is you may see ghosts when a bright scene changes to dark. Turning contrast down can help make this phenomenon less apparent.

KJP

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Holy cow, I could have sworn I replied to this thread this morning. I mean it was only a little humor, but a little levity never hurts anyone. Or maybe I just imagined I replied. Oh well.

Anyway, I was kidding Cameron and telling him that Buffy's only a vampire slayer. For his problem he needed to call a ghostbuster! :D (Or a calibrationist)

I have never noticed this problem, of course I do keep my contrast pretty low. Even so, I never noticed any persistence problems in the past, on any TV. Could this be a problem with that specific Toshiba?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks