Phosphor fade?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Yee, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer

May 9, 2002
    Cameron Yee
    I have a Toshiba 32A60 standard tv and I have noticed during dark scenes lighter elements persist on the screen and then fade out. For example, during a typical Buffy dialogue scene with alternating over the shoulder head shots, a ghost image of the previous shot will be there after cutting to the other person. The image shows up because the area that had the first person's face is a now a dark area in the shot. The fade out rate is about a second. Is this something I can remedy with the picture controls (like changing the brightness or contrast) or is this a problem with Toshiba tubes? I guess I can always experiment but input is always appreciated.
  2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Jan 18, 1999
    All phosphors have some persistance or afterglow, some more than others. The advantage of this is less flicker; the drawback is you may see ghosts when a bright scene changes to dark. Turning contrast down can help make this phenomenon less apparent.

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Oct 2, 2000
    Holy cow, I could have sworn I replied to this thread this morning. I mean it was only a little humor, but a little levity never hurts anyone. Or maybe I just imagined I replied. Oh well.

Anyway, I was kidding Cameron and telling him that Buffy's only a vampire slayer. For his problem he needed to call a ghostbuster! [​IMG] (Or a calibrationist)

I have never noticed this problem, of course I do keep my contrast pretty low. Even so, I never noticed any persistence problems in the past, on any TV. Could this be a problem with that specific Toshiba?