What's new

Can *minor* screen burn be helped? (1 Viewer)

Brian-R

Auditioning
Hi All,

I have a three year-old 53" Sony HD RPTV (KP-53HS10).

I was one of those people who always thought: "Hey, I'll just keep my contrast down and not worry about screen burn."

But, I should have known better. I have a habit (now discontinued) of turning on Fox News for one show. . . and then geeking out on the computer all night while Fox News' logo burns away. . . ouch.

My contrast has, over the last three years, nearly always been set below half. But for the last 2-3 months, I would sometimes leave it in a mode where the contrast was set two or three notches above half. So, in other words, it was barely above half.

Yet, Fox News finally got me. I now have three fain, fuzzy blobs of purple-ish hue that line up perfectly with the three lines of white text on the rotating Fox logo in the lower-left corner of the screen.

They are actually rather faint. My girlfriend actually thinks I'm a bit "retentive" for noticing them at all (but she didn't pay for, tune, and tweak this TV over the last three years). So, I have to ask. . . if I turn my contrast down even further and stay away from Fox News, will this phosphor burn even out and possibly fade? I realize phosphor burn is normally permanent. . . but I read this:
Is that at all accurate?

I had a crazy idea to use my HTPC to "counter-burn" the are. . . put up a white background and black only where the "fuzzy purplies" exist. But I think that would be crazy and might make the whole darn screen purple! :)

Anyways, is there any hope of mitigating the damage already done to my beloved TV?

Thanks!

H

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

I question the wisdom of this guy for sure.

Wearing the rest of the screen is an idea that has been toyed with, but it is definitely undesireable. I would try to ignore the logo, and it's likely in the black bar area anyway, so not that big a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks