What's new

Phone Scam? Identity Theft? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've received two phone messages from a guy in Vegas calling to confirm a vacation package reservation I never made. I'm inclined to ignore the call because I've checked all my credit cards and there are no unauthorized charges. I'm also on Equifax's credit watch program and there have been no alerts nor accounts opened in my name. I'm thinking if I get on the phone with the guy this would open the opportunity for him to sell me something or get me to make a commitment. Any suggestions?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i dont know what you should do, but it wouldnt hurt to report this guy to somebody. i'm not saying it is definitely this guy who is trying to screw you over, but if it is, then it is good that he gets caught. and if he is legit, then he has nothing to worry about. i would call your credit card company and let them know that someone may be in the process of obtaining your information to buy things. i'd say if nothing has happened yet, you could at least warn as many companies as you can that you are involved with.

CJ

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I would probably warn all three biggies just incase...

TransUnion
Experian
Equifax

It's important to report to all three, because while some places report to all three for credit purposes, some only report to one or two...

In other words, you might be in the clear with Equifax, but something might be going on with your credit with TransUnion or Experian...

So, my adivce would be to check your credit with all three to make sure nothing is going on... Also, warn all three if you truly feel this could lead to problems...

Better safe then sorry...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

It's not entirely clear to me how to do a warning. It seems most things I've read are after the fact I've identified something on my report.

Devin U

Second Unit
It's nothing they are trying to charge you for. What it is is they call you up to "confirm" your reservation, then you go to a timeshare sales pitch. You then get a totaly worthless coupon that you can exchange, along with a bit of cash, for a worthless trip with a sousy motel room.

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't necessarily just ignore it. We got a couple of messages from a company asking us to verify the purchase of a $250 calling card. We called back and told them that we did NOT order such a calling card and did NOT want one. It turns out that someone had gotten her credit card info and this company charged it to her credit card anyway!!

We finally got the credit card company involved and supposedly everything is cleared up, and she has a new numbered card on the way, but it does make one think twice about just ignoring such calls. Even if our attempts to keep things straight didn't work out so well.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Easy answer: *Click*

Whenever a telemarketer or the like calls me, I know it's one right away, as there is always a pause after the machine switches it over to an operator. I hang up before they get a chance to say hello.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Actually I'm an active user of caller id. If I don't recognize the name I don't answer it. Each time the guy has bothered to leave a message.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I'm also a caller ID person. If I don't recognize the caller I don't pick up the phone. If it's important they'll leave a message on my machine. On a similar note, I've not noticed a big reduction in solicitors calling me since the national do not call went into effect. I still get tons of calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks