What's new

Universal Home Entertainment's Abysmal Customer Service (1 Viewer)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Have you been victimized by Universal Studios' Consumer "Relations'" third world customer "service"?
I have been trying to get a replacement for a defective Blu-ray set since September 2015. After 4 months of sending emails and getting no response, I finally get one in January stating they were "having problems with their system". I was issued a return tag and took it to the post office. Oooops! It wasn't for enough money. I told Universal, of course, what the item was (a 6-disc set), and they only paid for the weight of a single disc return apparently. The post Office said I needed to pay the difference if I wanted it shipped, and to "work out" reimbursement with "The Studio". I refused and asked to speak with a manager, and he charged the difference back to their account. :) Score a point for me! I confirmed via tracking that they received the return 4 days later. I was told in the prior email that once they received my return it would be 4-6 weeks until I received my replacement. 6 weeks go by and no replacement and no emails. I send them another email (at this point in the entire process it is probably the 6th email I've sent to them on this one matter) asking where my return is. 4 Days later I get an email saying they got my return (this is the end of February and I already know they've had it since mid January) and they will send the replacement within 2-3 weeks. No mention of why I never received it in the initial 4-6 week period and no apology. Well, can you guess what happened next? If you said that the 3 weeks went by and I didn't receive the replacement or get any emails, you are correct! By now I am well beyond the boiling point and searched online for a telephone number so I could complain and actually talk to someone to try to get some HELP!
I found a number and talked to someone, but they transferred me to a voicemail line where I left a brief account detailing my issue. The message said someone would get back to me within 24 hours. Is anyone willing to lay down some long-green on the outcome of that situation? 24 hours goes by and no 'getting back to" was experienced. I then called the same number but implored the receptionist not to send me to that voice mail line, so instead she sends me to the mail room, who have no idea in the world how, or ability, to help me. The guy in the mail room says he will connect me to "customer service" but simply lays down the phone and never returns. I hang up and call back, and trying very calmly, ask to talk to someone in customer service and not a voice mail. After 5 rings I get what I assume is a customer service rep's voice mail where I once again must outline this saga with details and tracking numbers and inquiry numbers, multiple emails etc, etc, etc. I am now in the process of waiting once again for some kind of reply, some kind of light at the end of the tunnel, but who knows when that will be, the guy didn't say he would "get back to me within 24 hours"...

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Customer service sucks. And the surprise is . . . .?

Get used to customer service being a thing of the past, because it is.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
We'll if you don't get your replacement by the end of April it will be long overdue by that point and If I were you looking into legal matters as to how to get what Universal owes you will be your best chance get anything done.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk

The surprise for me was never experiencing anything even close to this. I've dealt with Fox on a couple returns and they were very timely, and Amazon, very efficient. But this is about as bad as I can imagine. At this point I can't help thinking I may be out the 40 bucks I spent on the set. Unbelievable.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
We'll if you don't get your replacement by the end of April it will be long overdue by that point and If I were you looking into legal matters as to how to get what Universal owes you will be your best chance get anything done.

At least threatening legal action sounds like a good plan.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Not entirely. Credit where credit is due. Fox was great about providing me with a replacement for X-FILES Season 8. Disney, while I still have enormous issues with their product, do tend to have decent Customer Service. Amazon, massive company that it is, is almost second to none about replacing lost shipments. Netflix replaces lost or broken discs right out of the gate, no questions asked.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I wanted to update my attempt to get a replacement Blu-ray set through Universal Studios Home Entertainment (see 1st post), which has, by far, the worst customer service of any business I have ever encountered. Their Consumer Relations is handled through Vision Media Management, who are, in my opinion, incompetent. I did get another email from them saying (for the third time) they are looking into it, so I spent the week attempting to get a real live person to talk to me, but was given 3 different telephone numbers that were voice mail only. I did not get a return call from any of them, even one, as I mentioned before, claimed they would get back to me within 24 hours. When I called Universal/NBC Customer Service, who originally gave me the numbers, and told them I was not getting any return calls, and therefore no satisfaction, I was told there was nothing more they could do! Sincerely! At this point it really has become comical. They have my $40 set (Universal Monsters), which I see is now going for $75, and with no one sending me a replacement or returning calls, I have the decision to make whether it is now worth it to seek legal action.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I wanted to update my attempt to get a replacement Blu-ray set through Universal Studios Home Entertainment (see 1st post), which has, by far, the worst customer service of any business I have ever encountered. Their Consumer Relations is handled through Vision Media Management, who are, in my opinion, incompetent. I did get another email from them saying (for the third time) they are looking into it, so I spent the week attempting to get a real live person to talk to me, but was given 3 different telephone numbers that were voice mail only. I did not get a return call from any of them, even one, as I mentioned before, claimed they would get back to me within 24 hours. When I called Universal/NBC Customer Service, who originally gave me the numbers, and told them I was not getting any return calls, and therefore no satisfaction, I was told there was nothing more they could do! Sincerely! At this point it really has become comical. They have my $40 set (Universal Monsters), which I see is now going for $75, and with no one sending me a replacement or returning calls, I have the decision to make whether it is now worth it to seek legal action.
You would almost certainly lose, and Universal has lots more money to throw away on such litigation than I imagine you have. They count on their ability to outspend you. That is why I despise corporations in general, even though a few decent ones still exist.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
You would almost certainly lose, and Universal has lots more money to throw away on such litigation than I imagine you have. They count on their ability to outspend you. That is why I despise corporations in general, even though a few decent ones still exist.

The thing that struck me the most was when talking to Universal/NBC about their consumer relations, handled through Vision Media Mgmt, and how they have continuously botched this exchange, they had no back up plan, and no other outlet for me go to. Honestly, I doubt that this would go as far as litigation, it feels ridiculous even having to address it, since we're talking about a $40 item, but exactly how I am going to go about it is not clear to me yet. I guess if it did eventually go that far, I would have to ask for all costs to be paid by them. It is a big gamble either way, so I need to figure out what to do next. I still hold out hope of getting to talk to someone at Universal that could actually help me. And, I could always just let it go, and learn from it, if you know what I mean.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The thing that struck me the most was when talking to Universal/NBC about their consumer relations, handled through Vision Media Mgmt, and how they have continuously botched this exchange, they had no back up plan, and no other outlet for me go to. Honestly, I doubt that this would go as far as litigation, it feels ridiculous even having to address it, since we're talking about a $40 item, but exactly how I am going to go about it is not clear to me yet. I guess if it did eventually go that far, I would have to ask for all costs to be paid by them. It is a big gamble either way, so I need to figure out what to do next. I still hold out hope of getting to talk to someone at Universal that could actually help me. And, I could always just let it go, and learn from it, if you know what I mean.
Hi Stan!

So far as I'm concerned, if it were me in your situation, it's the principle.

Assuming litigation isn't a viable option, perhaps taking it to the press in some form might be the next best thing? I suspect one thing that corporations hate, especially when positive PR is critical, is bad publicity! It's just a thought.

Tony

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

Keep fighting is what I would do, that or just boycott Universal all together.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I'll give it another week, and if I do not get to talk to someone or receive my replacement, then I will have no other choices than to seek legal counsel (it's certainly not worth going into debt over) or just forget it and cease supporting their product.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Do small claims court.

As I recall when I was given a similar runaround after I had $100 worth of brand new clothing ruined at Wal-Mart while walking through the baking aisle where several bottles of vegetable oil had burst open and were all over the floor due to sloppy stocking of the shelves (Just my luck, another decided to fall off the shelf just as I was getting something, splattering it all over my clothes), you don't need a lawyer.

And as I recall from my research, they have to send someone to defend themselves and if they don't, it's a victory for you by default. When I threatened this finally if matters weren't resolved by the time I returned the next day after a couple of weeks of going through nonsense like you've experienced here, they finally resolved it to my satisfaction when I showed up.

After many lies, repeated failures to return promised phone calls, and different stories from a dozen different managers, it took the threat of small claims court and the hassle of actually sending someone to defend themselves to get it all settled and get them to do what was right.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You could let it go, to relieve some stress, but you could also go on Facebook and various forums to share your experience. Sometimes the "likes" a person can get from these things adds up to an eventual change of attitude on the part of the person or company you are complaining about. It requires solidarity, and that is what corporations are most afraid of. Social media can be our friend

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
This has finally been resolved. I think it was the phone calls that got it going because I was having no luck with emailing. I was able to talk to someone at Vision Media Management (USHE's Customer Relations) that took all my info, and was told I would get a call back. Once again, no call back. Don't tell me you'll call me back time after time and then not follow through, that just alienated me even more. Received an email with, **drum roll**, an apology! The email also stated I would receive my replacement within 3- 5 days. It actually arrived 7 days after the email, but who am I to complain. The item is in excellent shape with no sign of the glue that was getting all over the discs in my original set, and even glued one disc to the inside of the sleeve.
I would hope this was a learning experience for USHE. I sure learned. I knew of this glue issue from day one and waited too long to return to the original vendor. Check out your purchases ASAP, and return to the store or online seller ASAP if there is a problem. Dealing with Universal Studios/Vision Media Mgmt was a bad experience. I hope they improve, but I would avoid having to deal with them again.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
It sounds like a huge part of this issue Is that USHE's customer service is handled by that third party, Vision Media Management, who probably knew nothing about what you were talking about, and failed to get the issue to someone (at USHE or otherwise) who fully understood the issue.

Certainly, once they erred on that return label, the company should not have fought with you further, and simply apologized right then and there and authorized sending a replacement copy free of charge. My understanding is that these firms are supposed to be given a great deal of latitude when dealing with damaged product (under a certain value) from large corporations, similar to how banks have a great deal of latitude in refunding fraudulent transactions under a certain value with little or no questions asked. Honestly, the cost of sending you an undamaged copy is a drop in the bucket for Universal, while dragging the issue out by not responding, or continually asking more of you, the customer, can result in your feeling resentment towards Universal, and as a result, avoiding their products in the future if possible.

So, I'm saddened to hear of these events, Dr Griffin, and I hope you never have to deal with customer service like that again. One hopes that Vision Media Management has some sort of internal record of this situation, and that certain staff have been re-trained. Most customer service organizations based here in the US are dedicated to avoiding these types of situations, but obviously, you never know who is on the other end when you contact "customer service", particularly via e-mail, which is why I now go to the phone first, if possible.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Universal is now putting out some great product, so I'll continue to buy. I just hope my issue may reach someone at USHE so they can correct the problem. I would not want anyone else to have to deal with what I did. The problem did not lie with Vision Media Mgmt alone. If you read my earlier posts, I actually talked with someone at NBC/Universal Customer Service and was told if I could not get satisfaction from Vision Media Mgmt, there was nothing else they could do! That can't be right. They should really look into someone telling a customer that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks