What's new

Phillips 30PW85OH Questions (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, thanks for posting back, and giving us the 411 on your new purchase direction.

When I was buy'n my new HDTV, I found threads like this the most beneficial in making my choice.

Like the size issue.. People going for size upgrades in addition to an upgrade to HDTV better be getting out the tape measure for sure. And need to think at least think about what size their 4:3 and 16:9 as well as other aspect ratios are going be being viewed at. Distance from screen and such too.

I know I didn't do this until I read here some, even though it would seem most logical to do that before even considering any particular HDTV. (The measurments, completely changed the purchase direction I was going in as well)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
THANKS GUYS,
I too am hampered by an armoire style entertainment center(but I did measure twice and order once)
TRUST ME I'd like nothing better than to just get it out of the way and bring home the 42 incher, but the wife had a fit just blowing 900.00 on this one.
Is there a switchable mode from 16;9 to 4:3 ratios, that's what I assumed, going to this model.
Yes, I'm worried about burn in w/ black lines on the side but blowin' that kind o' cash, I'd be more peeved if it looked like sH@#t

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
ok, I went out this weekend and searched for a dealer that has a toshiba 30hf83 and could not find one that was on display. I got to look at a few DVD's on other 16:9 sets. These included a 34" Sony XBR adn a Samsung 26".

I guess the thing that bothers me is using the zoom modes on these sets for 4:3 stuff. I have not seen a zoom mode yet that I thought was really good. I know I could just put in 4:3 mode with bars on the side but then with the size of sets I am looking at you loose a lot of image size overall. I know I can get HD Direct tv, but I just don't think there is enough HD content out there at this time. I know some people would disagree with me on this point but that is what I think.

I guess my next question is this. If I went with a 4:3 HDTV ready set now, What type of screen mode will I have when I do make the switch to HDTV? Will I then have letterboxed content for my future HDTV Direct TV and local broadcasts? I just wanted to purchase a set that would be as future proof as possible thats what started this whole thing, but it looks like there would be compromises in by current viewing of 4:3 material. But then again will there be compromises in my future viewing material.

That is why I am leaning towards a 4:3 HDTV ready set instead of a 16:9 HDTV ready set.

Any thoughts?

thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
As long as the 4:3 set provides a real full res 16"9 mode on an HD input, you should be ok, of course this means bars on the top and bottom. But you don't loose quite as much. I get a nearly 57" native 16:9 screen off of my 60" 4:3 set.

I really went back and forth on the aspect thing. I think I ended up with a kind of best 4:3 with awesome 16:9 HDTV to boot.

I hate all stretch modes myself. Our local ABC station loves to strtech and crop the top and send it out their HD feed. I think it looks terrible. Their real HD content is still real HD content though, and is great 16:9 format. Even though the local ABC station admits, to having some issues with their own ability to handle ABC's chosen 720p format, something they assert will be changed when all the stations consolidate to the new tower up on Lookout Mtn.

Calvin S

Agent
I own both a 32" 4x3 TV (Hitachi 32UDX10S) and a 34" 16x9 TV (Philips 34PW9818). Granted my 16x9 is a better TV, but I don't think I could ever recommend a 4x3 aspect ratio TV to anyone. If you want to future proof, just get the 16x9 and be done with it. Most DVDs you watch now will be in 16x9, and all HDTV content is (though of course not all content on the digital stations is HDTV). Broadcast TV is very quickly becoming majority HDTV, and once Fox comes over next fall, the SDTV content on broadcast networks will be slim. That should put increased pressure on the cable networks to go HDTV. A year ago it might have been a different decision, but the way it stands now I just can't imagine choosing a 4x3 TV now, unless you never watch movies or broadcast TV.

Keep in mind that if you get an HDTV tuner, much of your content will be coming from that, so the particular TV doesn't matter as much, except for how the TV handles 1080i. In a typical setup, the HDTV receiver will scale 480i content to 1080i, and the receiver will control the stretch modes. Thus, the TV's stretch modes don't really matter, and SDTV content will look as good as the tuner handles it, not the TV. Also, what mode works best depends on the content, so it's hard to get a feel for how good the particular stretch modes are without looking at a variety of content.

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John

Just to make sure of what you are telling me. Does this mean when you are looking at HD content on your 60" 4:3 set
you do have black bars at the top and bottom which means you do have a 57" measured dia letterboxed picture on this 60' set?

If I am thinking correctly I could live with this and I am making too much out of having a 16:9 set. I really do not like the zoom modes I have seen.

What terms do I need to look for to make sure I have this real full res 16:9 mode on the sets I am looking at?

How do you think it would convert size wise on a 30" set or a 27" set as far as overall letterboxed picture size?

Sorry if I sound stupid but I got pretty confused this weekend while looking at the options.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I get black above and below the picture.

They usually state it a number of ways...

On my Philips it is called 16:9 Squeeze mode and is only avilable on the HDTV Component inputs.

When using this with an HDTV set top tuner, or 480p DVD player, you set the devices as if your set was a real 16:9 set.

These HDTV feeds, send all sorts of stuff, I mean when it is cheater HD just sending normal 4:3 format over it, you will get black bars all the way around with the 4:3 in the middle. But like I say, right now, they are sending more than just real HDTV over the feeds.

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your input Calvin, i understand your point of view. But in my situation I live in a very small market for local T.V. stations and I am sure they will not make the HD switch until the last moment, so it could be at least 2 or 3 years a way.

Because of the FCC rules over local stations on direct TV
I can not get networks on my package so that rules that out. I have not heard any plans for the local cable company to switch either. You have to understand I live in a town of about 750 people and this is just the way things work when it comes to change. I still dont have DSL internet access avaiable to me yet.

Calvin S

Agent
In that case, why bother with a new TV at all right now? I don't think the incremental advantages for DVD alone really make buying an HDTV worth it right now. Take it from someone who already did that. I jumped on a cheap HDTV about a year ago (the 4x3 Hitachi), and if I had it to do over again, I would have been better off waiting, since I ended up buying the Philips less than a year later. The TV market is changing so much right now, if you can put off buying a TV for any time at all, you will probably be much happier with what $1000 buys in even a year, than what $1000 buys now.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm.. The difference from Svideo DVD and 480p component video DVD is more than enough reason alone to me anyways.

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
Both you guys have good points ( jeeze I am soo diplomatic)
Calvin, I wanted a new T.V. because I will soon be moving into my girlfriends house and I am trying to redo her system. Actually she does not have one! (19" Phillips combi set and JVC shelf system no cable or Sat ) I got her a Sony DVD for xmas and set her up on Direct TV with an old reciever I had sitting around.

I wanted to leave my current system for my dad which is a 35" 10 year old Mits and Yamaha audio.

So that is the reason for the upgrade. You make a good point about what a $1000 will buy now vs. a year from now
but the 19 combi unit is killing me.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Probably true, I do think CRT RPTV, is about as low as it is going to go.

Direct veiw is another story. They keep advancing it, and keep prices about steady on them.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
ok, I'm bringing this one back guys,
I just brought home the very animal in the title of this thread, I hooked everything up last night and will play with the settings this weekend,
Only had time to throw in a couple of scenes from my dvd collection, but so far very impressed. (you have to realize I'm switching from a early 90's RCA tube/27" stereo w/ no inputs save the 75 ohm cable)
Oh yeah, remember when I said I measured, and it would fit in my armoire? Too bad that was in print, or I'd deny the whole thing... I had to cut out the back of the cabinet to allow for the depth,(that's the only thing I didn't measure)

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
Hope it works out Kevin, I am going to do a little more shopping this weekend going to see what Zenith offers in HDTV ready.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
ok, I've spent the weekend learning and tweeking, trying to understand this unit... and am left with more questions, one of which I posted new today, about the progressive scan and interlaced modes from my dvd to the monitor.(got moved to A/V sources)
The instructions noted that the monitor has a digital section in the menu where you can pick between interlaced setting or progressive, I'm not finding this... If anyone has experience with this model let me know,

John S

Senior HTF Member
Kevin G. If it is like my Philips, both of those settings are actually Progressive line dubbling...

One is 480p, the other 960i so to speak.

You find it, by being on the Component in that is called the CVI input, it is for non-progressive scan DVD players.

If you DVD player is progressive, you must input it on the Component video that is specifically for 480p / 1080i, on this input you will not see any setting regaurding progressive scan. And if you get any picture at all on that input it must be 480p or 1080i...

Kevin G.

Second Unit
cool,
thanks John,
It does say that that mode is unavailable in the av 4 mode(where the component video is hooked up to), I just did not see the option anywhere in the menu, Is it available in the cvi input [rant]only[/rant]

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes, the CVI only, which does a remarkable job on non progressive scan dvd players.

But like I say on AV4 (just like mine) you get no picture at all if you input 480i or 720p, I tested it!!! lol

You only get a screen if your inputting 480p and/or 1080i....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks