What's new

Phase control with RX-V750 & PB10-ISD (1 Viewer)

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
hi everyone--

Well, I finally jumped into the world of "real" subwoofers and added the PB10-ISD to my system on Friday night. I am still playing with it, but I am absolutely thrilled by its performance so far. I have it working in conjunction with a pair of PSB Image B25 mains, 4 CSW Newton surrounds (from a past life) and CSW's old top of the line Center channel speaker, driven by a Yamaha RX-V750. While I wait for my friend to return my Avia DVD and my Sound Level Meter, I used the YAPO auto measuring system from the receiver and, like I said, it sounds really quite fantastic (to my ears). I could not be happier with the sub.

My question (at last) is how I should be setting the Phase control on the back of the subwoofer. As per Ron's suggestion, the Yamaha's crossover is at 80Hz, but I cannot seem to find a suggested setting, neither in the Yamaha's manual nor in the sub's manual (though it does give a good explanation)) for the Phase control. There is mention in the Yamaha manual to "set the the crossover/high cut frequency to maximum" so I have set the Phase control to near the 180° mark.

I have looked through the FAQs for an answer but perhaps I didn't look closely enough.

Any suggestions on how to set this setting would be appreciated. My old sub was set to around 140° or 160° and I got that setting from the old sub's manual.

thanks!
mike

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The PB-10 does not have a variable x-over; they designed it expecting you would be using the x-over from a receiver/processor. So there's nothing to set, so you are fine there.

Phase and x-over are not the same thing. There is no magic number for phase - it depends on your room and your setup. Start with it at "0", then try it at 180 to see which sounds stronger. Without an SPL meter, it will be kind of tough to figure out the best phase for your room.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
One I get my sound level meter, when will I be adjusting the Phase as opposed to the Gain in the sub?

thanks, once I get it I will check it out.

Ron had told me to change the cross over because a lot of them apparently are locked at 90 or 100 and suggested I make sure it is 80Hz if possible. I was surprised at just how much a range the receiver had, actually!

thanks again
mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks