What's new

Phantom Menace DVD-ROM: Anyone able to save Choices? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was wondering if anyone was able to save the Choices video to their hard drive. If so, how do you do it? Why does it matter? Well, besides collecting the trailers so I can have them until the DVD comes out, I'd really like to be able to save this Friday's second teaser trailer. Forewarned is forearmed, I think is how the saying goes. Thanks in advance.
BTW, as I typed the above, I was accessing the DVD site. It pulled the video up immediately, so it must be somewhere on my hard drive already. If you can help me track it down, I'd appreciate it.

KimR

Auditioning
just browse your temporary internet files dir where IE saves files and look for choices[1].mov or choices.mov in the dir.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Hopefully this will work with the Nov 09 trailer... I only have a Mac and a standalone...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Sorry but can you explain in full how we can save the trailer to our hard drives? I got to see it yesterday on the Star Wars site but couldn't figure out how to download and save it.
Thanks,
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I use Windows 98, so this will be geared towards users of Windows 98.
Access the website using InterActual's player, and go to the Episode II preview page.
There are two choices for the "choices" video, place the mouse over the choice of resolution that you'd like to download and note the name of the html file referred to by the javascript link.
javascript:doWin('censored.html', 760, 425)
Open up Internet Explorer and enter in the URL link
"http://dvd.starwars.com/epii_preview/", but don't hit enter yet. Concatenate the name of the html file referred to in the previous link to the end of the URL in IE and hit enter.
Stop the page from loading the QuickTime movie, and go to the View Source option from the View menu. In amongst the html code should be a long http link to the movie. Search for the string ".mov" and copy the whole URL to your download manager and download it.
If that's a little complicated, then sorry.. I'm not very good at explaining things.
confused.gif

[Edited last by Scott_MacD on November 07, 2001 at 09:36 AM]

mark_d

Second Unit
Wow! That was complicated! :)
For me, it was in my "C:WindowsTemporary Internet Files" folder. I just copied it from there. That's using Win98SE, InterActual browser and QT5 Pro.
I was a little disappointed not to be able to save directly now that I've forked out for QT5 Pro, but never mind.
If you have the DVD in the drive, you can access dvd.starwars.com through IE (as opposed to going through the DVD menus and InterActual) and perhaps full QT functionality will be available that way. I'll be trying that in a couple of days...
Mark

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
ScottMacD,
Done everything you've suggested except I don't know what a download manager is. Where is it and how do I use it?
Regards.
D
------------------
~Marriage is great but she keeps leaving the toilet seat down...~

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Those temp directories can become pretty cluttered and hard to navigate, so here's another way you may be able to find it (like Scott, this assumes you have Win98 or that your OS functions in a similar fashion):
  • Open Windows Explorer
  • Hit CTRL-F to bring up the Find function (or, it's on your Tools menu)
  • In the Named box, type choices or choices*.*
  • In the Look In box, make sure your C: drive is listed (or, your Windows folder will work)
  • Make sure Include Subfolders is checked
  • Hit Find Now
That should bring up a list of all files with the words choices in it. If you see one with a .mov extension, that's it. Note the location, and go to it in Windows Explorer.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on November 07, 2001 at 02:10 PM]

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Sorry if it's being complicated, Mark.. but I don't want Lucasfilm complaining about me giving access to the Choices trailer.
Doug, a download manager (DM) is something which you use to download files directly, without your webbrowser taking over and playing the media file instead of downloading it for you.. GetRight is a good DM for Windows, as it allows resumable downloads. Shareware, but pretty decent.
Perhaps you could mock up a quick HTML file and use the A HREF tags to point to the URL of the movie. Then open this mocked up HTML file and then right click on your link and select Save Link As, and then download it that way.
However, it seems that Apple have gotten smarter with the movie embedding code, I can't figure out how to download the Breathing trailer, all I can find is a still movie with the "click to play movie" on it. Maybe there's some direct mirrors floating around on the web that I've not found yet.
sigh.. maybe later.
[Edited last by Scott_MacD on November 07, 2001 at 05:14 PM]

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Scott,
Go look in Movies at the AOTC trailer thread. I think the direct link is on page 6.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on November 07, 2001 at 05:44 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks