What's new

Phantasm I & II ? (1 Viewer)

Chris Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if these flicks are available on DVD? I've done a few searches with no results. Thanks in advance.
Chris

MattHR

Screenwriter
PHANTASM (MGM) has been available for quite some time in a nice special edition (recently repriced from $35 to $15).
MGM also released PHANTASM IV: OBLIVION on dvd.

PHANTASM II & III (Universal) have yet to be released.

Chris Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. Found the SE shortly after posting. With the fan base that this series has, hopefully II and III are soon to follow.
Chris

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Found the SE shortly after posting. With the fan base that this series has, hopefully II and III are soon to follow.
Universal released these unmatted on LD. New OAR anamorphic transfers on DVD would be nice, but I wonder how much interest Universal has in releasing two films from the middle of a cult horror series.

DJ

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
II and III have been available in R2 for some time...I just haven't gotten around to purchasing them yet. I do believe they are also unmatted.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The Phantasm 1 SE is quite good, but its only negative is its non anamorphic widescreen. The supplements are quite nice, and one of the documentaries is hosted by the "Tall Man". The 5.1 mix is actually quite good. Its probably the best we'll ever have (at least for a while), so if you find it, go ahead and pick it up.

I dont even remember parts 2-4, so I dont know if I'm missing something, but I would like to check them out if they ever do get released.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
MGM did release Part 4 on DVD, as someone mentioned. Unfortunately, they don't own Part 2 or 3, otherwise they'd be on DVD already.

When MGM first released the Phantasm SE DVD it was $35 (still a deal compared to the LD it was ported from). Now the MSRP is $19.95, which is an absolutely bargain, regardless of it being non-anamorphic. You can usually pick it up for $14.95 or less.

Gruson

Second Unit
Phantasm II is one of my favorite horror movies of all time.

I REALLY wish they would release it. Hell, I cannot even find it on LD.

Will K

Screenwriter
Phantasm fans are pretty much screwed when it comes to these two entries. Universal doesn't seem much interested these days in catalog titles these days, especially ones that didn't make them a lot of dough. I haven't seen the Region 2 DVD's, but I understand they are full frame and not terribly good quality. Bummer because I really dig PII.

RichardMA

Second Unit
Phantasm II and Evil Deal 2 are examples of where sequels
exceeded the quality of the original. Evil Dead 2 is
out, so I hope Phantasm II is coming.

Lafe F

Second Unit
Region 2 Phantasm II & III are 4:3 fullscreen. I don't know if they're open matte or pan-and-scan. R2 Phantasm III also has the gorey shots cut out.

I wish Universal would get off their lazy arses and release these movies to region 1 DVD. But they've been terrible at releasing catalogue titles lately. I'd also like them to release Child's Play 3, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and The People Under the Stairs.

E-mailing Universal through their website doesn't seem to have any effect. I wonder if there's another way to get through to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks