What's new

Pre-Order Phantasm I & II Collector's Edition (1979/1988) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81Gpz2ikGfL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Derrick King

Screenwriter
A warning to anyone thinking about buying this, it is not as advertised. The discs in this set are not the ones from the "Sphere" box set (additional extras and Atmos mix for part 1 and an unrated 4K scan for part 2.) Part 1 is their orignal, single layered disc. Part 2, even more annoying, appears to be a re-encode of the crappy old master used for the Scream release.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's a shame. I wonder why they released older versions? Unless they don't have ownership of the newer source materials and didn't want to pay to re-license them?

It says on the back of the case that PII is supposed to be "uncut and newly remastered". I wonder if this is some mistake in the mastering/replication, by sending out the wrong version to be manufactured? We've seen several of those over the past year or so.

1633638453589.png

Derrick King

Screenwriter
They should have the rights to the 4K scan, as they were the ones that created it.

It isn't even the Scream disc from the first box, so they did not replicate the wrong disc. They actually spent money to re-author that old master instead of using the already authored uncut version they created for the Sphere box set. So, who knows why they did this.

Anyway, I contacted them via their website and they responded with the following
Hello

We understand your frustrations regarding any confusion regarding the different masters across our past Phantasm releases. On the new Phantasm 1 & 2 Blu-ray w/ poster release, the whole driver of this new sku was the new commissioned box art, the collectable poster and the limited available qtys to 10,000.

The disc 2 description noting uncut on the wrap can be mis-interpreted. Regardless, we want you to be happy with your purchase. We value you as a

Well Go USA and Phantasm customer, fan and would be happy to offer you the Phantasm II disc from the large Phantasm Sphere Collection as a replacement or a similar value replacement of another Well Go USA Blu-ray title.

Please forward your mailing address for a replacement disc.

I don't know what they are talking about "mis-interprete[ing]" the description of Phantasm II, as you noted, it explicitly says it is the "uncut and newly remastered" version on the packaging.

I sent them my address, so I'll see what they send me.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Looks like Well Go has acknowledge the issue with Phantasm II, but not with Phantasm being the old single-layer disc. (I suspect if they hadn't noted that Part II was uncut and remastered on the back of the cover, they wouldn't have done anything about this.)
FBNcwb7XIAAzA3q

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Good news, they are replacing both discs
It has come to our attention that a number of recent Phantasm 1 & 2 Blu-ray sets have incorrect discs due to production issues. We take full responsibility for this error and hear your frustrations so in order to immediately address your concerns we are offering to replace both Phantasm 1 & 2 discs with the correct discs.

Please send us your proof of purchase (screenshot of receipt) and a valid mailing address for the disc replacements. The replacement discs will be mailed out by USPS as soon as possible.

We value you as a Well Go USA and Phantasm customer so please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused over this issue.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Complaints must have reached whatever the magic number is to get them to "hear your frustrations" and "take full responsibility."

They didn't seem too concerned earlier, with their CS folks blaming it on "misinterpretation" of the description on the case.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Yeah.

Funnily enough I got an email that Well Go needed my proof of purchase and about two hours later my replacement for the 2nd film arrived in the mail. I got a subsequent email that stated the first film will be shipping soon.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Has this been corrected in recent pressings of the set? If I order from Amazon, will I get the correct discs or the erroneous ones?

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I have not heard anything about them correcting this at that level. If they already pressed the full run of the set (10,000) I doubt if any corrected sets are available at the retail level. So you most likely are going to have to request the corrected discs.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would concur. I don't think any distributor does a full-scale recall/replace of retail product these days. They just expect you to follow up with their replacement program if you want to request the corrected versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks