What's new

Peterloo (1 Viewer)

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Is there some reason why Mike Leigh's much underappreciated and underseen historic epic Peterloo has not been released on Blu-ray/DVD in the U.S.? (Yes, I know it's available streaming.)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Is there some reason why Mike Leigh's much underappreciated and underseen historic epic Peterloo has not been released on Blu-ray/DVD in the U.S.? (Yes, I know it's available streaming.)
Because it's much underappreciated and underseen. It barely earned $150 000 theatrically in the USA and lost Amazon Studios a ton of money

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/mike-leigh-peterloo-period-drama-1202058640/

In addition it received the worst reviews of Mike Leigh's esteemed career. 66% on Rotten Tomatoes or 66/100 on Metacritic is hardly bad, but it doesn't give Amazon any incentive to press discs for the 10 people in the USA who would purchase it. It's not as though it isn't available on blu ray; Entertainment One have released it on the UK (apparently region 'B'-locked). But you never know - maybe Criterion will licence it? They have a number of Mike Leigh's films and they don't baulk at releasing stuff like Baal, which I'm pretty sure I'm they only person they managed to sell a copy of that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks