What's new

Peter Gabriel SACDs: Single-layer discs in the US, hybrids overseas. :o( (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to sound selfish, but what pisses me off most about the upcoming Dylan titles is having to wait until Fall to get them! I'm certain this has everything to do with the backlogs at the hybrid replication plants, and we'd have them much sooner otherwise.

Generally speaking, I'm in favor of the hybrid disc format and there are rare occasions when I might even make use of the Red Book layer. But I'm not even sold on the idea of mainstreaming SACD, which is the primary argument behind the push for hybrids. There are simply too many things that can go wrong when the studios are playing to these yahoos, and I think those of you who've witnessed the mainstreaming of the DVD format have seen much of the same dynamics at work (full-frame/pan-and-scan releases; in-depth supplementary material giving way to crass marketing "featurettes", etc.).

Consider the recent release of The Who SACD vs CD. I wonder if the CD is so royally screwed because it was filtered, eq'd and otherwise f'd with for the purposes of radio broadcast and the boombox/Walkman crowd? Perhaps Lee or John could speak to this issue more directly, but it would seem that these tools-better-left-in-the-toolkit will soon be available for DSD mastering, at which point it seems likely that they'll be used to maximize sound for the inferior playback methods utilized by the mainstream. As Mike Knapp warned so many years ago about the mainstreaming of DVD... be careful what you wish for!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I guess your lack of response to my question is good evidence that you don't have specific data that Sony was responsible for the hybrid situation with Police and Gabriel.
Lee my lack of response was because you were guilty of wild speculation on the meaning of my post. Go re-read my post. I do not mention Sony once, it is you who brought up Sony my friend. You crack me up with all these posts about Sony being a champion of the Hybrid. Please stop being a Sony parrot and reposting word for word quotes found on High Fidelity Review and other places as your own.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
You said this at 3:11PM. This clearly implies that Sony is to blame for the Police and Gabriel.
Hold on here. Are you or are you not the one who continuously trumpets the Hybrid capability, and posts quotes from the likes of David Kawakami? We have heard it all from you; stealth marketing, increased foot traffic, SACD in CD bins, single inventory, etc. So far the only release that follows this model you extol to the heavens is the Stones. Almost every other Hybrid has not taken the place of its redbook counterpart, is found in the SACD sections, or not at all in most stores. My post is factual. Sony trumpets Hybrids, as the creator of the format, then big releases don't use Hybrid technology. Thats just the facts.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, as I recall, the SACD of The Police Every Breath You Take: The Classics (hybrid SACD) will be packaged in a digipak, but the other Police SACDs will come in Super Jewel Boxes. I'm not sure about the Peter Gabriel SACDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks