What's new

Peter Gabriel SACDs: Single-layer discs in the US, hybrids overseas. :o( (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
In case you haven't heard, the word is that Peter Gabriel SACDs released by Geffen in the US, with the exception of UP, will be single-layer discs, but the same titles released by Virgin overseas will be hybrids. Apparently, the US version of UP will be a hybrid. Here is where I got my information:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...threadid=11494

While those single-layer Geffen SACDs will probably be $14.99 at Best Buy, I might be tempted to order the Virgin hybrids. Of course, it depends on how much they cost. I wonder if Virgin Megastores will have them. They get in some other Virgin imports (e.g., Simple Minds, Human League).

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Stupid move isn't Keith? I guess they must feel all the PG fans already bought the remastered CD's so they don't need the hybrids! I REALLY want SO at least. Doing the single layer domestically really takes the edge off these releases for me.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm tempted to pay more for the imports, but I just don't know if I'd ever listen to the Red Book layer. I don't do background listening, Walkmans, and I don't even own a car. If I'm listening to my stuff, it's invariably on the good stereo. I'm tempted, but the price will have to be damn close for me to justify paying for a hybrid. I just don't think I need the flexibility.

Any word on the price difference?

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I'm tempted to pay more for the imports, but I just don't know if I'd ever listen to the Red Book layer. I don't do background listening, Walkmans, and I don't even own a car. If I'm listening to my stuff, it's invariably on the good stereo. I'm tempted, but the price will have to be damn close for me to justify paying for a hybrid. I just don't think I need the flexibility.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

That's a fair point. My guess is that as imports, the Virgin hybrid discs will sell for around $25. It will be interesting to see how readily available they will be. I'm sure they will be available through www.superaudio-cd.com .

When I'm home, I almost exclusively listen to the SACD layers on hybrid discs. The exception is when I occasionally want to compare the two layers. However, I do a lot of casual listening in the car and office, where CD is obviously a must. That said, I usually buy the standard CD for use out of the house even if I have the title on a hybrid SACD. I don't like to beat up my hybrid SACDs. That's just me. As a result, I'd probably be better off buying the domestic remastered CDs (I already have So) and the single-layer SACDs. The question I have, however, is whether the CD layers on the hybrid discs will sound exactly the same as the remastered CDs. I'd be surprised if the albums would be remixed for CD so soon, but one never knows. I don't know how the remastered CDs were done. Were they mixed in DSD and then converted to PCM? I would think that the CD layers on the hybrids would be taken from the DSD masters used for the SACD layers. Hmmm....

Charles,

It is silly, but welcome to the wonderful world of SACD. The hybrid SACDs are a curiosity to me, but as I said to Rich, I will probably go with the remastered CDs and single-layer SACDs.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The same thing goes for The Police discs coming out as well. Single layer here in the states and Hybrids overseas. Check out Sting's official site for details:

http://www.sting.com/newspress/latestnews/

The only good news is that the Police dics are up for Pre-order for 12.99 at Circuit City (free shipping right now) so the Gabriel will probably be had at the same price. I ordered a couple, but am going to wait on ordering anymore until we have a better idea as to what the pricing of the import Hybrid will be.

J

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
If it's half as much for the domestic single-layer, then I don't see why I'd purchase the import. As Keith notes, it would be better/safer to have a separate Red Book disc for travel, and if the pricing is as it appears to be, then no more expensive to buy separate discs either.

I think the difference in price would have to be within $5 or so (shipping included) to justify purchasing the import-hybrid.

So, the domestic (US) Police SACDs will be in Super Jewel Cases instead of Digipaks? Here's hoping!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
In case you haven't heard, the word is that Peter Gabriel SACDs released by Geffen in the US, with the exception of UP, will be single-layer discs, but the same titles released by Virgin overseas will be hybrids.
Keith,

After talking with people in New York in the business and carefully reading the very confusing and definitely not definitive thread on Hoffman, I feel I must not buy into the hypothesis that only hybrids will be issued overseas.

We have some official releases of the two I mentioned above being in hybrid form, so until I hear more I remain skeptical.

Also, the quoted source in the thread seems to me is more familiar with the UK plans than the US plans...

If I were running the show, I would release everything in hybrid, of course. This is the only way to go.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
In North America each album will be released on 4 March in SACD format in jewel case boxes, and in CD Audio format in Digipaks. The exception is Every Breath You Take - The Classics will be released in hybrid SACD/CD Audio, meaning it will be play in both formats.
The Sting site also backs up the earlier press release so my money remains on at least two hybrids.

I do agree the different treatments for each side of the pond seem very odd.

Another reason to go to London...;)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The Sting site also backs up the earlier press release so my money remains on at least two hybrids
Lee, I don't think anyone said there would be no Hybrids released. All along both Up and Classics were announced as Hybrids. The issue is that all of the other discs from both artists (16 if I am not mistaken) will be single layer here in the states while Hybrids overseas.

Maybe the powers to be in SACD view SACD as simply niche here in the states, while it is more widely excepted in Europe hence the release of Hybrids for all. Of course Universal could also just be cheap, and may have sales numbers that the Hybrids they have put out to date have sold no better then their single layer SACD discs. No need to add the extra expense of a Hybrid to the discs when they are releasing remastered CDs with cheaper production costs that will sell well, and the very small Hi-res buying public will still pick up the single layer discs.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Actually now that I think about it, both The Police will be a very interesting measuring stick as to the penetration of SACD. If sales numbers are ever published (kind of doubtful) we will be able to see clearly on a new release how many SACD vs. CD copies are sold of the same title released on the same day. I have a feeling that since these discs are not Hybrids (except 1) the sales numbers will be very very small on the SACD side. Kind of a shame. I guess Sony's Hybrid "proliferation plan" is only suitable for certain artists, labels, and decades.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I guess Sony's Hybrid "proliferation plan" is only suitable for certain artists, labels, and decades.
Why would you assume that Sony made the decision?

In all likelihood the record label decided. From recent comment of the vocal David Kawakami, Sony would prefer to do all hybrids going forward.

I think it is a bit unfair to assume this bad news is due to a Sony decision.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
My question is: If they are releasing the Police as hybrids in Europe, then why the hell are they also releasing CD only versions also? What's the point of that???

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
In all likelihood the record label decided. From recent comment of the vocal David Kawakami, Sony would prefer to do all hybrids going forward.
So why are they waiting for the Dylan discs in the fall to being doing Hybrids? If I am not mistaken there's 7 months of releases before the Dylan discs come out that will continue to be single layer. Some commitment to Hybrids :rolleyes

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
If I am not mistaken there's 7 months of releases before the Dylan discs come out that will continue to be single layer.
Justin,

You are just guessing here. There have been no statements from Sony saying which of the upcoming releases are hybrid or not beyond say March.

Give Sony credit for doing so many Dylan titles (which are exclusive hybrids ala Stones), it takes time to remaster. It will be worth the wait.

I guess your lack of response to my question is good evidence that you don't have specific data that Sony was responsible for the hybrid situation with Police and Gabriel.

I suspect we will see a lot more hybrids in 2003 now that we have capacity.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Give Sony credit for doing so many Dylan titles
And then I'll take away the credit for NOT including already existent multi-channel mixes (or ANY OTHER MC mix) on Nashville Skyline & Desire. Apparently Sony is not learning any lessons from the botching up of the Stones SACDs in order to meet an artificial, self-created release deadline (why do ALL 15 have to come out at the same time?).

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I've only got "Beggar's Banquet", "Let It Bleed", "Get Your Ya-Ya's Out" and "Aftermath UK", but not a single one sounds at all botched to my ears. What are the problems with these SACDs and what lessons do you think should be learned from those releases, Larry?

I've never heard the quad mixes on the Dylan discs, but IMO this is an ideal opportunity to put the excellent mono mixes for the 60s-era titles on CD/SACD. I'd certainly be interested to hear the quad mixes, but the monos are truly historic and Dylan lavished much personal attention on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks