What's new

Performance (1970) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Google ChromeScreenSnapz001.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Performance (1970) [Blu-ray]http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=homethea02-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00IMRL2AA

Last edited by a moderator:

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
According to a question answered by a WAC rep on their Facebook page, the blu-ray will fix the stereo audio error that ended up omitting "Here's to Old England" and other audio.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Wow, an unexpected, but fantastic, surprise! I've enjoyed the DVD, but always grimaced at the audio issue. Another gem from my favourite decade of film to be added to HD!

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
Yes! I’m hoping this will be the slighly longer version with the “live” British dialogue tracks intact (some domestic releases, like the LD, were a shortened, somewhat censored cut, with some dialogue overlays).

As I recall, Mr. Cammell’s widow revealed several years ago (as reported in “Video Watchdog”) that she had a complete print of a longer “director’s version” of the film that she hoped would be released at some point. Most folks acknowledge that this film was extraordinarily influential – and while I am not surprised that this “director’s version” has not yet been restored and released, such a wasted opportunity leaves me saddened. I imagine that rights issues and the fact that the film was credited to two directors also create their own complexities.

In any event, I can’t wait to see the specs for this blu-ray – one of my favorite films.

ThorC1138

Auditioning
Real Name
Thor Cromer
I received mine in the mail yesterday, and I have some bad news...first, the vocals for Johhny Shannon's character Harry Flowers are different than the US DVD release, as to which is the "real" version I have read that the US DVD is correct, so that would mean this new Blu Ray version is using the dubbed version.

Second, the added line "Here's to old England" sounds terrible, like it was spliced in from an old VHS tape, with the gain cranked up to 11, it sounds just awful.

When I posted on Warner Archive's facebook page about this, they claim the audio is unchanged from the DVD release, but that is not correct. Just listening to Harry Flowers at the 15:00 or 21:00 minute mark and it's quite obvious.

As seemingly one of the first to spot this, getting some other sites behind this would be helpful in getting Warner to realize there is something going on here..

calvinm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin
Sadly, every time (and it must be 5 or 6 times now) I have posted on the Warner Archive Facebook page about the issue mentioned above they have simply deleted my post. It seems like they don't want to fix the problem and would rather ignore its existence - all the while preventing the issue coming to the attention of any potential buyers scouting their Facebook page. It's very disappointing behaviour from what I thought was an open, trustworthy company.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robin9 said:
No!!!

(One of the very few films I walked out on early)
A matter of taste, as always. The only two movies I ever walked out on were LT. ROBIN CRUSOE, U.S.N. and BADLANDS. Yeah...

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
It is a shame that it seems WB archive wants this issue to just be ignored. I know I sent them a tweet regrading the issue and was told they were looking into it. I thought for sure they would work out a replacement etc. ESP since it is an Archive release. Between this release and the opening re dubbed audio for Get Carter you'd hope someone would look into alternate versions of their films when prepping releases or any other info that would help them with quality checks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I haven't bought this yet as I have a UK DVD of it. Was thinking of buying the UK BD(oh, wait...snap...there isn't one)...How many people would have preferred WA left this the way it was theatrically...which is the same as the VHS tape and DVD?Did the attempted fix to please the "if on BD it must be corrected" elitists...ruin the film?Or, can we cut WA some slack?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks