What's new

Peeve: "In before the lock" (1 Viewer)

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
While I am aware that we are guests at the HTF and that moderators are what keep this place from turning into a war-zone like most other internet fora I've frequented, the one thing that drives me batty are those little chirpy snitches who post...

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
...in before the lock
which is probably one of the more cowardly things to do.
IF you feel this way, join in the discussion, but please please please
don't be a "Lock Mock"
-JNS
And yes, I sense the irony too ;)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I agree, Jagan. Lately I've even been seeing it in threads that are not even "lock-bait".
I think it's just a way to increase that post count!! ;)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I think it's just a way to increase that post count!!
Why would someone want to increase their post count? I dont understand why some people complain about "losing post counts"... as if they are less of a man (or woman) because they dont have 5000+ posts on the HTF...
Well, at least Matthew Chmiel thinks so :D

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I agree "...in before the lock" posts are a waste of time. I also don't like posts that read: "I think this is better suited to the Polls section. :rolleyes!" Just let the mods move as they see fit, and don't post if you don't have anything constructive to say!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
A much more subtle and effective way to artificially inflate your post count is to start threads complaining about trivial little things that hurt nobody. :D
Seriously, the "In before the lock" thing is, I think, usually just intended jokingly. Is it really the end of the world? :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Seriously, the "In before the lock" thing is, I think, usually just intended jokingly. Is it really the end of the world?
I think it's just shown up quite a few times recently and personally, I think it just looks smug!!:D
What's the point of saying it? You either get to post or you don't... :confused:

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
A much more subtle and effective way to artificially inflate your post count is to start threads complaining about trivial little things that hurt nobody
:laugh: :emoji_thumbsup:
"In before the lock": Generations of HTFers who have been repressed speak out about this offensive, "chirpy" phrase. Film at 11.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I agree "...in before the lock" posts are a waste of time.
It probably annoys the moderaters even more when they open a thread in which like five people predict the thread will be closed shortly, or are asking why it has not been closed already?, when not one of those 5 people even took the time to report the thread.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Since no other admin has commented I'll do it.
In before the lock is harmless. However, IMO it accomplishes only three things:
  • 1)Show that you read the post.
  • 2)Increase your post count.
  • 3)Moves the post back to the top to get even more recognition.
None of these reasons serve a useful purpose and moving it to the top is certainly not preferred if in fact the post should be locked.
It would be much preferred it anyone sees a thread that in your opinion should be closed that you email an administrator.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
What's equally peeving is when someone posts nothing but "countdown to the lock" or words to that effect. That does nothing but insult the originator of the thread.

I'm guilty of doing this, but after I did so, I gave it some thought and realized how useless it was.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
"In before the lock"

Immature comments from moderator wannabes with nothing to contribute.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks