What's new

PC and TV is connect by rca cable but no sound from tv (1 Viewer)

thxbest

Grip
Real Name
sean
I am having trouble getting sound out from the TV hooked up to pc. Computer is connected to TV via Display port -> HDMI (Display port does not support audio), so I connected headphone out port on the pc, which should be fine for exporting sound.

PC to TV is hooked up via 3.5mm audio jack on one side and the white/red composite plugs on the other
however, the TV has no option to configure to put out sound through RCA Audio. I don't want to buy extra powered speakers or sound bar.

TV is Hisense 55H7B.

http://www.hisense-usa.com/tvs/H7B2/55/120

What is the best way to get this issue fixed?

Thanks for any advice.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Honestly, after reading your post three or four times I can’t tell if you’re trying to get audio and video from the computer to the TV, or the reverse. Can’t find a manual for the TV on line, but I’m going with the former because I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a TV with a HDMI output.

So – you can’t “mix and match” the TV’s HDMI and analog inputs. You’ll probably have to modify or replace the computer so that its HDMI output sends both video and audio (as this is what the TV HDMI input is expecting).

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Real Name
Thomas Roberts
Sounds like Wayne hit the nail on the head. Seems Display Ports cant carry audio, only video. If your PC doesn't have an HDMI out, the best bet would be to upgrade the computer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you had bought a TV with a "PC input", those can be configured to assign HDMI and analog audio(typically with 3.5mm) together.

But. You didn't buy a TV with a feature you need.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It's common for video cards nowadays to have both VGA and HDMI outputs: my 5 year old Dell came that way. A cheap video card may fix your problem. My Dell has two HW audio sources: one on the Intel motherboard chipset drives the HDMI audio, and a second one for the anlog audio inputs and outputs. You may have to go into Control Panel and chose the proper audio output.

thxbest

Grip
Real Name
sean
The TV does accept incoming analog (red/white) audio connections however, those cannot be configured to assign HDMI and analog audio together. My old Panasonic Plasma TV was able to do that but not the new Hisense TV.

I know that DisplayPort does support audio however, not in this case. The PC is a "HP Compaq dc7900 Ultra-slim Desktop PC." DisplayPort does support video only. I use passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to get the video on the TV. There is no place to upgrade the PC with a dedicated video card with HDMI-out.

https://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/manualsResults?sp4ts.oid=3785404&ac.admitted=1451524875368.1123376534.199480143

Any suggestion?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks