What's new

No sound from Sennheiser headphones? (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
See attached picture, from the manual for your AVR.

12, 13 and 14 are “RCA Outputs.” As you can see, there are only RCA outputs for Zone 2, Front, and Subwoofer. There are no “RCA Outputs” for center channel or surround channels. So when you said, “At present, I'm using Surround/Center/Front/Subwoofer/Zone Out-Zone 2 jacks” I assume you really meant speaker connections (15)? And you actually have nothing connected to the Zone 2 and Front RCA jacks?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Attachments

• Yamaha back panel.jpg
    Yamaha back panel.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 37

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
See attached picture, from the manual for your AVR.

12, 13 and 14 are “RCA Outputs.” As you can see, there are only RCA outputs for Zone 2, Front, and Subwoofer. There are no “RCA Outputs” for center channel or surround channels. So when you said, “At present, I'm using Surround/Center/Front/Subwoofer/Zone Out-Zone 2 jacks” I assume you really meant speaker connections (15)? And you actually have nothing connected to the Zone 2 and Front RCA jacks?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Correct on speaker connections at #15 (Surround L/R, Center, Front L/R). However, I do have a RCA Y adapter at #12 (Zone Out Zone 2) and have the RT175s audio cable hooked into the adapter and the back of the RT175 set to analog. It is this latter connection that had stopped working. I have replaced the RCA Y adapter, but still no sound. I now am using the audio cable connected to the front headphone jack. This works: Sound from phones, no sound from speakers. Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Okay, now we’re getting somewhere! I assume your “splitter” cable is one of these (pictured below), with a 3.5 mm plug on one end (Sennheiser) to dual RCAs on the other end (Yamaha).

Just move the RCA’s over to the Yamaha’s “Front” jacks instead of the “Zone 2” jacks. That should do it.

As I mentioned, those jacks change volume with the remote control (unlike the Zone 2 jacks which are “fixed”). But you can “counter-adjust” the headphone volume with the Sennheiser’s own controls.

Just set the Yamaha’s volume control to your normal setting (i.e. -17 dB or whatever), then adjust the Sennheiser’s volume to a comfortable level. Once you get the two balanced, any changes you make to the Yamaha’s volume will go to the Sennheiser as well. You might actually find this more beneficial than using the Zone 2 jacks – now, when you encounter differences in volume from one TV program to the next, the headphones and Yamaha volume levels can be changed simultaneously.

iu

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Okay, now we’re getting somewhere! I assume your “splitter” cable is one of these (pictured below), with a 3.5 mm plug on one end (Sennheiser) to dual RCAs on the other end (Yamaha).

Just move the RCA’s over to the Yamaha’s “Front” jacks instead of the “Zone 2” jacks. That should do it.

As I mentioned, those jacks change volume with the remote control (unlike the Zone 2 jacks which are “fixed”). But you can “counter-adjust” the headphone volume with the Sennheiser’s own controls.

Just set the Yamaha’s volume control to your normal setting (i.e. -17 dB or whatever), then adjust the Sennheiser’s volume to a comfortable level. Once you get the two balanced, any changes you make to the Yamaha’s volume will go to the Sennheiser as well. You might actually find this more beneficial than using the Zone 2 jacks – now, when you encounter differences in volume from one TV program to the next, the headphones and Yamaha volume levels can be changed simultaneously.

iu

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
My RCA adapter cable looks like the bottom one. But at its other end is a female port into which the phone's audio cable's male jack fits. The top cable's end is the same as the end of the phone's audio cable. I probably jumped the gun in that I connected the adapter one spot over from the Zone 2 to Pre Front (as I thought you suggested,) and now the headphones don't work at all...even when I connect the phone's audio cable to the front headphone port. Should have checked out this move with you before doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks