What's new

2.1 speakers - Need help desperately (1 Viewer)

Freeloader

Auditioning
Real Name
DT
Hello
I bought these 2.1 speakers - http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=17963 (Yeah I know theyre cheap and not a big deal but I needed something cheap fast and besides its better than the sound from TV). Note that these speakers are for PC but they can also be plugged in to TV. So I decided to try them out on my TV but the sound is REALLY REALLY LOW. I do not mean the quality, but volume. I can barely hear the voices, If I want to watch a movie I need to max out the volume bar on subwoofer, max out the volume on the remote control and set up the volume on TV on 50/100 and thats sick, this cannot be right. Something must be wrong and I dont know why? I am desperate I tried everything.
My brother tried to stick the jack to his iphone and the speakers played great, there was no problem, but when I stick them to TV, the sound is low and basses are low too, I must max them out to hear something.
To help you identify the problem, heres a few photos
Back of the TV:
from side: (the third jack is for headphone set, thats when the green jack should go - atleast thats what I read)
and here is the subwoofer from the back and cables and stuff:
My TV is: LG 32LE5510 (note that I cannot connect RCA cables from subwoofer to TV via Audio out/in) because the tv dont have analog
Sorry for my english and try to be specific I am noob at this. Thank you

Freeloader

Auditioning
Real Name
DT
I also forgot to mention that when I stick the green jack to a phone, it sticks easy and smooth, on the other hand when I want it to stick to tvs h/p jack it goes harder so is there a possibility that I need to buy some reduction or something. Its like the green jack is not fitting very well to the TVs jack and I must push it must harder to stick it in.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1/8th is a universal standard. Has been for 130 years. And yes, One Hundred Thirty...with the advent of the telephone switchboard...
If it doesn't go in as easy on the TV as it does a phone, my guess is you have a broken headphone jack in the TV. It happens.
Two possibilities....
1. Are you turning the TVs volume all the way up?
2. If you are turning the volume up, you could always use the optical output to an optical/analog adapter...
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Analog-Converter/dp/B004C4WPXA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356436291&sr=1-1&keywords=optical+analog+converter

Freeloader

Auditioning
Real Name
DT
schan1269 said:
1/8th is a universal standard. Has been for 130 years. And yes, One Hundred Thirty...with the advent of the telephone switchboard...
I have no idea what you just said, please note that I am not a native english speaker + I am a noob in this stuff, try to elaborate a bit more on this please.
schan1269 said:
If it doesn't go in as easy on the TV as it does a phone, my guess is you have a broken headphone jack in the TV. It happens.
Thats very unlikely because I never used that jack before, this is my first time I am using a h/p jack but I also tested it out with headphones, its the same - the sound in headphones are very low BUT the cable was also hard to stick in.
schan1269 said:
Two possibilities....
1. Are you turning the TVs volume all the way up?
2. If you are turning the volume up, you could always use the optical output to an optical/analog adapter...
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Analog-Converter/dp/B004C4WPXA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356436291&sr=1-1&keywords=optical+analog+converter
1. What do you mean? I dont understand - volume on sub was at max, there is also something like remote control when is another volume which adss to that volume, that was also on max and TV was at half of its max volume and then it was "worth" listening
2. Hmm what does that thing do ? So it will make analog on my TV so I can plug in RCA cinches?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To use "external audio" using the headphone jack...
You have to turn the volume all the way up.
If you turn it all the way up, and the volume still is not satisfactory...something is wrong. That "something wrong" is probably the headphone jack itself. There is ZERO DIFFERENCE in the headphone jack on a phone and the one your TV.
So...
1. If the green plug doesn't go in the TV the same way it goes into a phone. Something is wrong with the TV headphone jack.
2. If you do manage to get the green plug all the way in the TV(even if there is a problem with it), turn the volume all the way up.

Freeloader

Auditioning
Real Name
DT
schan1269 said:
To use "external audio" using the headphone jack...
You have to turn the volume all the way up.
If you turn it all the way up, and the volume still is not satisfactory...something is wrong. That "something wrong" is probably the headphone jack itself. There is ZERO DIFFERENCE in the headphone jack on a phone and the one your TV.
So...
1. If the green plug doesn't go in the TV the same way it goes into a phone. Something is wrong with the TV headphone jack.
2. If you do manage to get the green plug all the way in the TV(even if there is a problem with it), turn the volume all the way up.
I understand now.
Yes it is satisfactory If I turn the volume all the way up but I think that indicates something is wrong. Because how come that when I plug it into the phone I dont have to turn the voluem all the way up to get the volume I want, however when I plug it into TV I must go all the way up to get the volume I want.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Probably cause the manufacturers of the two devices don't use the same gain(as in rate of volume increase).
That, and your phone probably truncates the frequency...and the TV probably doesn't. Meaning the phone is set up for you to listen to a phone call and/or listen to crappy MP3. Many devices set up for that "shrink" the audio spectrum...hence things that are connected to them sound louder cause there is less variation to work with.
IE, the "same amount of power"...
20hz-20khz might come up with 100db of volume...(like your TV)
100hz-14khz might come up with 104db...(like your phone)

Freeloader

Auditioning
Real Name
DT
schan1269 said:
Probably cause the manufacturers of the two devices don't use the same gain(as in rate of volume increase).
That, and your phone probably truncates the frequency...and the TV probably doesn't. Meaning the phone is set up for you to listen to a phone call and/or listen to crappy MP3. Many devices set up for that "shrink" the audio spectrum...hence things that are connected to them sound louder cause there is less variation to work with.
IE, the "same amount of power"...
20hz-20khz might come up with 100db of volume...(like your TV)
100hz-14khz might come up with 104db...(like your phone)
So the only 100% solution is to buy D/A convertor? Like this one for example http://headfonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/IMG_7020.jpg ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have no idea if that will make any difference. Like I said, the "apparent volume differences" are more than likely based on...
You phone has lousy frequency response...which allows for a louder perceived audio.
The two devices are "gained" different.
The phone performance is irrelevant to the TV performance.
If the external audio works fine with the volume turned up...turn it up. Cause AGAIN...your TV and a cellphone are not the same device.
More repetition necessary?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, cause I feel like being nice...I'll explain "gain"...on how it used to be figured(and more than likely how your phone is based) and how "modern electronics" does it.
There are two(there are actually more, but these are the main two) ways to "create gain".
One is a mere power progression.
1 watt, 2 watts, 3 watts, 4 watts and so on(the way your phone apparently works).
Then there is gain based on "sound doubling"...
1 watt, 2 watts, 4 watts, 8 watts (how the TV apparently works)
So, if you have two devices that have 10 watts....
1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 is not the same gain as...
.001/.01/.1/1/2/4/8/10
There are names for those...but finding this out in your native language will be easier.

Freeloader

Auditioning
Real Name
DT
Thanks for explanation
Ill try the D/A convertor and will let you know. If it wont work then I am hopeless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks