What's new

Trying to get TV audio thru 5.1 home theatre with dvd receiver (1 Viewer)

Aizat

Auditioning
Real Name
Aizat
Hi guys,

I just bought a second hand dvd receiver home theatre model Lht550tb (LG dvd receiver) and try to connect all the speakers to TV audio (TV JVC model LT-40C550). At the moment Im using TV android box that is connected to my TV by using HDMI port. The connections port available for TV and dvd receiver are listed as below:

DVD receiver

S-video cable
Monitor out (video cable)
Euro AV (SCART)
Component video (Y Pb Pr cable)
AV in (RCA connector)

TV

Headphone jack
AV (RCA cable)
Y Pb Pr / Audio
Optical audio
HDMI 1 (ARC) / HDMI 2 / HDMI 3
SCART
PC IN / PC Audio
USB

If it's possible i would like to get TV audio out thru the 5.1 home theatre system. At the moment, im using Jack to RCA cable (from headphone output TV to AV in dvd receiver) and could only get tv audio thru Left and Right home theatre speaker. Even the subwoofer does not produce any sound.

Please guide on how to get TV audio thru all of the speakers and subwoofer. Many thanks!

p/s: android box does not has any connection port except for usb and HDMI (connected to TV)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Getting 5.1 TV to an audio system requires two things:

* An audio/video receiver that accepts a digital optical, digital coax or HDMI input. Your LG does not have connections for any of these.
* An outboard TV tuner, such as a cable box, satellite receiver, or TIVO (some models of which accept a TV antenna input) that has at least one of the output protocols listed above. Televisions to not send a 5.1 encoded signal from their optical or coax outputs.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I'm pretty sure that you can get DD and DTS 5.1 over an optical cable from a TV if it supports it. It will vary from model to model and normally the higher end the TV the more chances it will so this. I couldn't find anything on that particular model so chances are it won't. I would just set the HTiB unit to some kind of simulated surround mode like DPLII or "movie" it has it to get sound from all 5 speakers.

Aizat

Auditioning
Real Name
Aizat
The TV does has its digital audio output (optical) but the dvd receiver has none. Only AV in for RCA. Is there any other way or trick I could use to get the sound out to all 5 speakers and sub from TV audio? Maybe some sort of converters might do the job? Im totally clueless.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Not unless you have an orange coaxial connection on both the TV and decoder and IIRC those are becoming increasingly rare.

Fact is you have an older HTiB, not a real receiver. That limits the options here quite a bit.

EDIT: This are your audio inputs as show in the manual...

dghv7pB.png

From the looks of it, it only supports stereo and/or Dolby Pro Logic for input purposes. No 5.1 discrete outside of DVD playback. Sorry but dems de breaks.

Last edited:

Aizat

Auditioning
Real Name
Aizat
One of the solution i could see here is to get a 5.1 receiver with a digital audio in right? So that i could still use the speakers and sub. What are the details/specs i should look for if to proceed with this? Thanks!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well your tv does have an optical out so pretty much any receiver will work as optical has not been phased out and probably never will be. Also your dvd player happily does not appear to use any thing other than standard generic +- speaker wiring so theoretcally those speakers should be connectable to anything.

Aizat

Auditioning
Real Name
Aizat
Just for a peace of mind, if I use a converter like this, will it make any difference (sound thru all speakers + sub)? Since the input to the receiver would still be in analog.

upload_2016-12-19_16-41-33.png

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No to the converter. No matter what you do you can only get 2 channels into the receiver. The best it can do is 'simulate' surround.

Be very careful reusing the speakers. The best I could find online were specs on CNET that showed that at lest some of the speakers were 4 ohm. Not all receivers can handle these.

Aizat

Auditioning
Real Name
Aizat
By "simulate surround" do you mean the tv audio would come through all the speakers and sub?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The receiver will take the 2 channels and attempt to simulate the surround. The problem you may run into is the signal will be the same as the one you are getting from the headphone jack. If the receiver is not using all the speakers now, I doubt it will with the converter box (which may not work very well anyway).

Do you have surround modes of any type on the receiver? In the manual it may be called 'matrixed'. Look for Dolby Pro Logic or DTS Neo.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
BTW - I did find your manual and only the sub is 4 ohm. The other speakers are 8 ohm and should work fine with another receiver. The sub is passive so it won't work unless you also supply a separate amp.

It looks like the surround modes you need to get all speakers working are on page 12.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
One of the solution i could see here is to get a 5.1 receiver with a digital audio in right? So that i could still use the speakers and sub. What are the details/specs i should look for if to proceed with this? Thanks!

You could get a new AVR and from what DavidWillow says you can reuse the speakers without issues. However, like he says you're stuck on the sub as it's currently powered off of the HTiB and a new AVR will not be able to power it. A new AVR will only output a low level signal that needed to be used by a powered subwoofer or external amplifier. In your case it would be more effective to just upgrade to a powered subwoofer.

Please keep that in mind when you're shopping for a new AVR. You'll want to keep some money in the budget for a new sub.

As far as details and specs go, anything new is going to be such a jump forward from what you currently have I wouldn't worry at all about it. I would simply look for an entry level AVR to get everything up and running. Usually Yamaha (RX-381) and Denon (S-510BT/520 depending on where you are) AVRs are good choices for the entry level. If you don't have those I would look for a Sony DH770. All of these will have more inputs and options and will be 4k compatible.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you are on a thread, how do you do a search in that thread?

Easy peasy, John.

When in a thread, just go up to the search box in the upper right-hand corner of the page and type in your key word(s).

You'll get a drop-down box. Just be sure to check the box that says: "Search this Thread Only."

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Your are very lucky most HTIB speakers are not 8om, good luck. don't use the Sub with any other setup might damage amplifier !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks