Passive sub off of RXV-1400 rear channels?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Ok I am going to email ron tonight concerning this, unless he sees this post but I also want input from you guys. Could I get a 16-46CS+ and run it off an open channel on my Yamaha RXV-1400? It says on SVS's website... if you have an old receiver you could use it as an amp, because our subs are so effeicent.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You need a decent amount of power to run a big sub. Driving a passive sub off your receiver will draw a lot of current from the receiver, leaving less headroom for the rest of your speakers. You would be much better off getting a used receiver to power the sub. SVS is saying if you have an old receiver that will be used to drive the sub only.

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

And remember the subs are 4ohm loads and will tax an amp even more. I know my older Yamaha doesn't recommend using 4ohm speakers, yours might have similar warning? I think you'll want a good 300W to drive the SVS properly, and that ain't gonna happen with an AVR.

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Ok thats about what I figured. My receiver can handle a 4ohm load and the sub would only be a 25-31cs. But sounds like its not a good idea. [​IMG]

Thanks guys.