What's new

Passion of the Christ coming to HD-DVD in Canada??? (1 Viewer)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i wonder if the film will be released on hd-dvd in canada, since the dvd was released there by warner bros.

just a thought ;)

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Enrico, I believe Passion of the Christ is a 20th Century Fox title which means Blu-ray, however, be patient. If you scour the various websites and read industry articles and trends I think you can be safe in assuming that Fox titles will be coming to the HD DVD format eventually. In the meantime, there are plenty of HD DVD titles to keep you busy. I just rent titles from the offending studios.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
No, but Enrico raises a valid point. The Passion is one of those titles released by a different company in Canada (in this case Equinoxe Films), so it's entirely possible that since Equinoxe's video distribution in Canada is handled by Warner that it will wind up on HD DVD here.

And The Passion is a Newmarket Films title, licenced to Fox for video distribution, as is Donnie Darko. Other Newmarket titles have been licenced to other video companies. Whale Rider, for example, was licenced to Sony, as was Monster.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Oh, then that is actually terrific news for those of us that thought it was brilliant filmmaking. I actually forgot that it was not a Fox production. So chances are it will be available as an import.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

That will change soon. The HD-DVD org has just voted on adding region coding into their specs. Toshiba has announced that their next generation machines will have it. I am not sure if that covers the new players comming from Toshiba or they will wait for the third generation players.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Guys,

Passion of the Christ is distributed by 20th Century Fox.

Fox = Blu-ray

I expect a Blu-ray release of this film next year. ...not saying it will happen, but I've got that feeling.

Mike

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

Michael, I checked and Equinoxe Films distributed the film in Canada on DVD. If Stephen is correct that Warner distributes for Equinoxe, then it should be on HD DVD to import . No?

Rolando

Screenwriter
yes sir and for those that cared, the Canadian DVD of Passion had a full bitrate DTS track. So it wasn't even a port distributed by another company.

In otherwords not only might it be HD-DVD in Canada it might not even be the same transfer or audio. Whether that is a good thing or not, I am not sure. It does however at least open the possibility to have it on both formats.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
ok maybe ur right...i had forgotten i received my product from California...

i guess it's wait and see!

Mike

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Canada currently imports all their HD-DVDs from the states. (Unless this has recently changed) None are even made specifically for Canada (meaning no French on the covers, unlike Blu Ray). So I would imagine Warner Canada at the moment is not ready to produce their own HD-DVDs, so I doubt this title will be coming anytime soon.

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'll contact my friends at Warner Bros here and find out for certain if we can expect it.

Still I'd suspect that it will be available on both formats as Warner is supporting both equally.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Darn, I was hoping for The Passion of the Tomato! Ever see the Veggietales-like spoof? I think it was on The Simpsons. Funny stuff. :D

We get to see a gruesome film get even messier. Great. Had Gibson just watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre before shooting this? That dude is seriously messed up.

Dan

Rolando

Screenwriter
Just want to clarify that all these are theories for the eventual release. AFAIK there have not been any announcements or even hints that this is being released in anything but SD-DVD.

If anyone knows differently I would love to get news.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

I bought the XBox 360 hd-dvd player that came with King Kong and it had french on the cover. I'm not sure if every copy is bilingual or if its just for Canada. Hopefully this doesn't become the norm. Bilingual covers make collecting dvds much less fun.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

The King Kong I bought at Best Buy had no french. I have yet to see FRENCH anywhere.... yet....

I have yet to open my HD-DVD add on, it's currently under the tree, but if that's true I would imagine it means Universal is probably starting up bilingual production. Which sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks