What's new

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Passengers emerges from the screen on 3D Blu-ray, with a solid technical delivery of a beautiful but empty story.

Passengers (2016)

Released: 21 Dec 2016
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 116 min

Director: Morten Tyldum
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Romance

Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt, Michael Sheen, Laurence Fishburne
Writer(s): Jon Spaihts

Plot: A spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet and transporting thousands of people has a malfunction in its sleep chambers. As a result, two passengers are awakened 90 years early.

IMDB rating: 7.0
MetaScore: 41

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 1080P/MVC

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
When you write "there's no there there," implying there is not enough plot to sustain the film, I would ask you to imagine yourself under the circumstances depicted in the film. Wakened prematurely, and alone on a spaceship, facing decades of isolation, how do you cope? The moral dilemma of weighing the advantages/consequences involved in awakening another passenger so that you (selfishly, of course) will have companionship. Personally, as a writer, I find that to be an intriguing premise that could very easily sustain a feature film. The question you might be wanting to focus on is: how well that central dilemma is handled. I bought the film but have not yet watched it, so I cannot offer an opinion yet. But the concept of the plot, for me, is quite brilliant.

Full disclosure: I did not read your "spoilers" as I haven't watched the (3D) disc yet, so perhaps you covered this within them.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, it's a great film if you're in the mood for a romantic comedy. It doesn't work too well as a straight science fiction film, though. If you go into it with low expectations in terms of science fiction, you will be rewarded. I can't comment on the 3D as I watched it in 2D.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
When you write "there's no there there," implying there is not enough plot to sustain the film, I would ask you to imagine yourself under the circumstances depicted in the film. Wakened prematurely, and alone on a spaceship, facing decades of isolation, how do you cope? The moral dilemma of weighing the advantages/consequences involved in awakening another passenger so that you (selfishly, of course) will have companionship. Personally, as a writer, I find that to be an intriguing premise that could very easily sustain a feature film. The question you might be wanting to focus on is: how well that central dilemma is handled. I bought the film but have not yet watched it, so I cannot offer an opinion yet. But the concept of the plot, for me, is quite brilliant.

Full disclosure: I did not read your "spoilers" as I haven't watched the (3D) disc yet, so perhaps you covered this within them.
Dick, I'm really curious to see your thoughts after you see it.
You're correct that there should be enough plot to make this work, and the concept is indeed brilliant. My problem is that the film repeatedly shies away from the very issues we are discussing. You're correct that all this should work. For me, the end result was that it didn't, and it took me a week of thinking about it to synthesize why it was having that effect on me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
First, I'm really tired of 3D being treated like the poor stepsister. The 4K/3D release has an atmos track but apparently only on the 4K version. I watched the 3D version and then put i n the 2D disc and both only have a 5.1 audio track. Would it kill them to put atmos on the 3D and 2D versions too.

Someone called this a romantic comedy and while there is some humor this is definitely not a rom/com. This is sci/fi, even if you don't care for the movie. IMHO.

I liked it mostly, it was a little slow until Aurora was woken up and then it got much more interesting for me. I've read that the moral dilemma was introduced and than ignored and I don't agree with that. Once Aurora learned that Jim woke her up, she was extremely angry and only really got over it when she was presented with a similar dilemma.

I liked the ending and how the characters dealt with the moral issue.

I really like a movie when I want to watch it again. I'm not sure if Passengers achieved that for me.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Watched it last night in 3D. OK movie but not something I want to watch again. Time to put another Blu-ray on eBay!

Jbug

Agent
Real Name
June
I started to buy the 3D version but balked because I don't care for Pratt or Lawrence as actors. Pratt more than Lawrence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks