What's new

Paramount's missing big three.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Besides Trek. Their is three big series that Paramount has not released (besides comedies):

-Mission:Impossible (next to Trek, one of their biggest franchises)

-Wild Wild West

-The Untouchables

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Doesn't Paramount also own the rights to Get Smart? I'd say that's a huge piece of their history that is missing on DVD.

They have the opportunity now to do it right -- get Mel Brooks, Buck Henry, Don Adams and Barbara Feldon (and others) together for some commentary, a documentary, whatever.

But this one needs to be done right, and hopefully soon.

I'd be willing to bet it would be among the most successful sitcom series DVDs ever produced.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I beg to differ when it's my first ever post at this forum, but I'd say that you've missed a huge Paramount show that has got to get DVD treatment as soon as possible:

The Fugitive

This is, in my opinion, the greatest drama of all time. It hasn't been on national television for almost 10 years now, and Paramount is missing a golden opportunity to cash in on it, IMHO.

Gary OS

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The Fugitive is rumored to be coming.

I spoke to someone at Paramount late last year - NOT Martin Blythe, but he would know this person - and asked about several TV titles and whether they were planned for DVD in 2004.

When I asked about Get Smart, it was met with some surprise that I could be asking about it. I pointed out that Parmaount owns rights to it thanks to CBS. A quick computer check verified what I was saying. But that reaction made it very clear to me that it's not currently in-the-works.

Probably Martin, and others, already knew at the time that they owned the rights to this; I'm not saying that this person's surprise is representative of all of Paramount. However, if it was already even pencilled onto the schedule, I'm reasonably sure this person wouldn't have reacted that way.

Either way, I am very disappointed that Get Smart isn't on DVD yet. If it were released during the same week as Friends, Star Trek, M*A*S*H, Six Million Dollar Man, and Married...with Children, I would easily watch Get Smart first, to completion, before even breaking the shrinkwrap on any of the others. It would be a hands-down, easy-as-you-please, no-brainer decision.

Even now the theme song is running through my brain...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, I did speak to Martin about "The Fugitive", just two weeks ago. I'm a nobody but I did get thru to him via phone, and he generously took a couple of minutes with me. He said the show would almost "have to be released eventually". It's too big a show not to come out.

However, as of right now, it is NOT on the schedule! I'd love to believe otherwise, but I don't think Mr. Blythe was "messing" with me when he shared that bit of info.

I think it will come out, probably not before next year, but I believe that Martin is correct in that it's too big and important a series not to get dvd treatment.

Gary OS

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
He might not have been messing with you. Saying it's "not on the schedule" might simply mean it's not gotten a release date. That doesn't mean that people aren't, say, recording commentary tracks for it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I hope you are right about that David. I've heard conflicting reports about commentary recordings. The only thing I can say is that according to Martin, he honestly doesn't know that the series is a "go" right now. At least, that's what he indicated to me. Honest.

Now, maybe he does know it's in the planning stages right now, but he certainly didn't give me that impression. But I know from Gord that Martin can be "tricky" in his answers, so I'm hoping your sources (the one mentioned at you & Gord's site) is right. I'd love to see it happen, as soon as possible.

Gary OS

P.S. I don't mean to wander off topic in this thread, but... David, I haven't seen a review of the Dick Van Dyke Show sets from you or Gord yet. I thought for sure we'd get a nice review within a week of it's release. Any reason?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I would love to see Get Smart as well. However getting cast and crew involvement at this point is a long shot.

Mel Brooks is still quite busy milking the "The Producers" gravy train (upcoming movie in the works). Don Adams is battling health problems plus his daughter's own potentially terminal illness.

There was a "Get Smart" reunion of sorts late last year that I stumbled across one day. If you go to this page you'll be treated to some nice pictures of the cast. I was particularly happy to see a pic of William Schallert, one of my favorite TV character actors. Barbara Feldon still looks very pretty (she's in her 70's!). Don looks quite frail.

Steve O

Beau

Supporting Actor
Doesn't Paramount have MacGyver? I'd snatch all 7 seasons of that(and the 2 tv movies if they would release those, perhaps as special features on the last season). Add me to the Get Smart camp aswell.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'd take Get Smart on DVD also, and thanks to a Simpsons episode that aired today, and David's post, I've got the theme song in my head now...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Gary, we didn't get the Dick Van Dyke sets, so no review.

As for Martin's answers...he's only ever sneaky in email. I just love his email answers. Martin is a very, very nice person and I love dealing with him.

Gord

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Gord, you guys didn't get the sets???? Wow! What happened? You just decided not to get them, or some kind of foul-up where they weren't sent to you? Just wondering, because they are absolutely the nicest looking, well packaged set of dvds I've ever seen (and I have quite a few different tv series on dvd).

Gary OS

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'd probably pick up Get Smart, but I'd love to get Wild Wild West. Especially the Early B&W eps. It's too bad the Movie Sucked so badly because the Powers that be might take that as a reflection on a Series Release. C'mon Paramount give us the Real Jim West !

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Image may not have been sending review copies up to Gord in Canada. And I stopped reviewing over a year ago, due to lack of time.

I'll talk to Gord by e-mail about the subject; if there's an issue then I may be able to resolve it. Nothing more to discuss here on that topic, though.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I agree David. Don't want to wander off topic. So to get back on topic, I'll add that besides The Fugitive, I too would love to see Season sets of The Wild, Wild West. I did subscribe to Columbia House's set of these (couldn't wait on Paramount forever), and they've put out almost the entire 1st season already. It's a great series, and Paramount would be wise, IMHO, to consider it for release.

I like Get Smart as well, but I can't say I'd pick it up ahead of Star Trek (TOS) or The Six Million Dollar Man (two of my all time favorite sci-fi shows).

Gary

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Gary, I was tempted to purchase through Columbia House. But, they are so overpriced. I would rather wait and hope that Paramount finally releases this show.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Todd wrote:

Todd,

I completely understand where you are coming from. I battled with this decision, because I agree that CH is way over the top, price wise. I will say this though about the price - you can get their dvds for as little as $18.25 (this includes shipping), instead of paying $25 or more. That's the only reason I subscribed to it, because I was able to at least make up a little money on them with this discount they offer.

Actually, I subscribed in the middle of the summer last year when I honestly thought that the TVonDVD industry would likely never release more than a handful of older (50's & 60's) tv shows to dvd. We all knew they'd give us shows like "I LOVE LUCY" and "THE TWILIGHT ZONE", but I figured a show like WWW would never see the light of day. So I made the plunge and ordered from them. I sincerely thought at that time that they would be my only chance at this series. Of course, this year has proven that the studios are more than willing to begin producing older shows on dvd, and I couldn't be more excited!

If I was in your shoes, I'd probably wait at this point as well. In fact, after CH sends me disks #9 & 10 in the series (which will give me all the 1st Season black & white episodes), I'll cancel my subscription and wait on Paramount to eventually (fingers crossed) release seasons 2 and beyond.

Take care,

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks