What's new

Paramount - Star Trek V Director's Edition? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm starting this post as there's been some positive feedback in the software forum for a Star Trek V Director's Edition DVD. I think it would be great for the film to be polished up by Mr. Shatner. Paramount has done a wonderful job with The Motion Picture and I am eagerly looking forward to The Director's Edition of Star Trek II in August. Please continue the trend and offer the director's of the films a chance to complete Director's cuts of the films. Please see software link. Thank you.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=72910

Chris M

Second Unit
I refuse to buy the current version of the movie, but if Shatner actually gets to make this film like HE intended WITHOUT interference... then I'd SNAP UP this disk.

Chris.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't think this move was all that bad when I first saw it in the theatres...but then again I was in sixth grade. I would be cool to see what Shatner originally had in mind when he started production on 5. It would most definately be a renter for me with buying in mind while I watch it.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I agree with Chris. Though I enjoyed the movie as is, I read the book version Bill Shatner wrote and it was much more effective as a whole and in particular the encounter with "God" (but not really God)
. I've read that Shatner was set back by the technology of the time (and probably budget constraints) and was not satisfied with certain (action/effects) sequences.

Perhaps, à la George Lucas's Special Editions, Shatner might be inclined to give his only Star Trek directorial effort the special edition treatment and thereby give particular sequences the impact they deserve.

Well from what I heard, Paramount is going back and doing dual-disc Special Editions for all the remaining Star Trek films. We have the 2nd film coming, and rumor has it we'll see the third before the year is out.

DanHaya

Second Unit
My wish is that all of the Trek films get the Director's Edition treatment. However, I've read in other threads that Star Trek III: The Search For Spock is getting a 2-disc treatment (but not the full "Directors Edition" treatment) and that Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home will get a "Director's Edition" treament from Leonard Nimoy.

That's not very reassuring, because Paramount had long ago released a Director's Cut of ST IV on VHS.

I suppose that it's up to the individual director's to decide if they want to revisit these titles. Obviously, Robert Wise really wanted to finish up ST:TMP. But keep in mind that Wise is pretty much retired now (I think)...I'm sure that Nick Meyer, Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner are a lot busier than Wise. I just hope that each of them are afforded the opportunity by Paramount to revisit these films for the new DVDs if they want to.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
That's not very reassuring, because Paramount had long ago released a Director's Cut of ST IV on VHS.
That's misleading. Star Trek IV was released on VHS and laser as part of Paramount's "Director's Series" video releases, which included a 14 minute intro to the film by Nimoy, but the cut was the same theatrical version we've all seen.

-Lyle J.P.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I concur.

Let Shatner re-do this film like you allowed Wise to with his The Motion Picture. Although, I hope the spruced up effects don't look quite so obviously video-sourced as some new SFX shots did in Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Cut.

As it stands now, Star Trek V is a farce (just like Insurrection, IMHO). If there are ways to fix it, then make it so...

And if you wouldn't mind adding DTS too, that would be great. As the movies progressed, so did the audio quality and DTS would be icing on the cake for the rest of the special edition series. Heck, I'd love DTS on all your other movies too.

Thanks for your time!

Dan

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I fully support a ST V Director's Edition as well. I've always liked this one, even as hated as it is among most Trekkers. But I also see the room for improvement a DE would bring.
Paramount, bring it on!
:D

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I went ahead and bought the non-SE versions of these films which I then sold prior to moving to Scotland. I'm now getting the SEs as they are released (R2 of course), but I have to say that I skipped ST:V on original release because I just couldn't stand it. I loved the character interaction, but it just wasn't worth it to me.

I had no idea Shatner's vision wasn't complete, so if he got another shot at it -- even if it was only to re-edit -- I would definitely pick it up. Heck, even if there was a "Battle of Brazil"-style documentary and the theatrical cut it would be worth putting in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks