What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

PARAMOUNT - One Eyed Jacks (again) (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just saw the widescreen version of this movie on TCM and it looks astronomically better than the horrible DVD currently available (Madacy?). Am wondering if anyone at Paramount is looking into this title for a legitimate release? The movie is apparently in the public domain, but only Paramount can produce a quality widescreen release.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dick,

I'm with you here! We need a good dvd presentation of this beautifully shot film.

Crawdaddy

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I did notice the color had faded a bit and was inconsistent, so some restoration will almost certainly be needed. However, this is, after all, Marlon Brando's only directorial effort, and a good one. It is an esoteric but very absorbing western. Mr. Blythe?

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I must add my plea to Paramount to give this great movie the quality treatment it deserves on DVD. Paramount seem to be releasing their classic westerns in batches every few months, and One-Eyed Jacks surely has to be included in their schedule soon. I hope Martin Blythe can give us some good news on this one.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I hesitated some time before I bought the dreaded Madacy version, but in the end I gave in. In this case, I too would cheer a new improved version!
Remarkable film. Marlon Brando's acting somehow resembles his take on Mark Antony in Julius Caesar (1953), Joseph L. Mankiewicz, a film I would also like to see on DVD!
Cees

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is a great film but unfortunately Paramount don't seem very interested in releasing it. I hope Paramount realise that there are very many people out there who are eager to buy this if a good quality DVD is available.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Add me to the list of people who would snap up a widescreen DVD put out by Paramount.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
Marlon Brando R.I.P.
Today's unfortunate news of Marlon Brando's passing has made me think of this wonderful film again (one of the greatest Westerns ever made, one that most people probably have never seen a quality presentation of.) Once again, I wish Paramount would consider releasing this.
Jeff
brando.jpg

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, me too. And the 'Julius Caesar' I mentioned above.

We need a Brando Box Set soon (or several)!

Cees

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Apart from this being a great film, Brando's performance was superb. I've never understood why critics tend to dismiss both the film and his performance. My dream would be to see Brando's original cut of the film. I wonder whether the cut material still exists? Whatever - it's certainly high time Paramount issued a DVD!!

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Even though this seems to be a PD title, Paramount did put out a nice laser Disc of the film in the mid 90s. With Marlon gone, they should do it it for his legacy

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Yes, if Paramount needed a good reason for releasing One Eyed Jacks, surely the sad passing of Brando is reason enough. As well as being one of his finest performances, it was also his one and only film as a director. We need to have this great classic done properly on DVD at last. Please Paramount!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mr. Blythe - your studio is the only hope that this film will be released in any form remotely resembling the original. But if your staff wants a laugh, rent or purchase copies of a few of the cheapo-label public-domain travesties, with their pan-and-scan and faded color. That might be the incentive you all need to start work on restoring it.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
When Paramount released the Laser disc - they did a restoration of the film at the same time.

If they wanted to, the stereo music tracks for the film still exist and Paramount could use them to remix this film for stereo.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It's as if the current regime at Paramount doesn't even know they have this. Mr. Blythe seemed not to have even heard of the film, let alone that Paramount owned it and could release a superior DVD, even though two or three of the crappy public-domain companies have spit out a pan and scan, color-faded abomination that gives the film a bad name.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I find it extraordinary, given the 1000's of abominations released on dvd, that the greatest western in history is ignored by Paramount executives.

Granted restorations cost a mint, but I feel that there is much a market for a good transfer of One-Eyed Jacks as there is for Vertigo or Lawrence Of Arabia.

One-Eyed Jacks is well known by film buffs here in Australia and all our transfers of the film are as apalling as yours.

I can't say that Brando was the best actor ever as that has been said elsewhere. It's amusing to see him play himself and have everyone hoodwinked into thinking he was acting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks