What's new

Paramount Celebrates Centennial with contest and a PEEK at new Blu-rays on the way..... (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Yes it will be. There are some A list titles that haven't been officially announced that we will see this year...

No doubt. Until DigitalBits.com mentioned it, I forgot about the inevitable blu-ray for Titanic, for example. Guess I've gotten so spoiled by Universal's plans these preliminary announcements seemed sparse by comparison.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bradley-E

I have to say Paramount's 100 is disappointing. Yes, Wings, To Catch a Thief and Chinatown are welcome releases. But Hondo? Which WAS originally released by Warner instead of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or his last film The Shootist? Or what about Hatari? There are countless Paramount titles I am craving on Blu ray; Hud, Gunfight at the OK Corral, Roman Holiday, Nashville, A Place in the Sun, Terms of Endearment, Rosemarys Baby, Stalag 17, Ordinary People, Heaven Can Wait, Serpico etc. I know Clue has its cult following, but common. It is your 100th Anniversary Paramount, show some pride in your history like Universal is doing. Now THEY know how to celebrate a 100 year milestone.

NASHVILLE, now that was a movie. As long as we are thinking about HEAVEN CAN WAIT, let's do FOUL PLAY.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Neil Middlemiss said:
I interviewed Andrea Kalas - VP of Archives at Paramount - about the restoration work done on Wings and I asked about other projects that the team is working on. She didn't reveal any titles but said that they were keeping very busy. Add to that the interview last year with Ron Smith from Paramount who teased about some incredible and highly desired titles (not all of which I was allowed to print) and I think you will find 2012 will include more gems than are announced in this press release! It's going to be a good year!
Hi Neil Will we get to see that interview ? Kind regards Oscar

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm quite surprised (and disappointed) that one of the studios top money-makers has not been recognized in this celebration. Every film he made for the studio turned a profit. Not only that, he's still alive! Excuse me, Paramount. Remember a guy named Jerry Lewis???
Agreed 100%, Bob. They're putting out "Clue" (a fair to middling - at best - movie) and ignoring The Nutty Professor and The Disorderly Orderly? Or any number of his movies with Dean? Put out some of the VistaVision films Jerry did and show everyone how movies are supposed to look.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek

I'm quite surprised (and disappointed) that one of the studios top money-makers has not been recognized in this celebration. Every film he made for the studio turned a profit. Not only that, he's still alive!
Excuse me, Paramount. Remember a guy named Jerry Lewis???

Isn't there some hard feelings between Mr. Lewis and Paramount? I think it was either due in part to The Nutty Professor remake or when Paramount released the DVD sets and did not ask or accept his participation. But at least Olive has some new titles coming out on DVD and Blu-ray.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Agreed on Jerry Lewis. Huge moneymaker for that studio
and it took forever to get his prime films on DVD and I suspect

the same for Blu-ray.

Heck, been trying for years to convince Sony to release his

films from that studio that have never seen the light of day

on DVD.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Not Marx Brothers? Nor Road pictures (or other Hope or Crosby)? Nor Preston Sturges?[/COLOR]

Not much hope of that seeing they sold them to MCA decades ago. Talk to them.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Nobody has mentioned that Warner Bros is doing their bit to celebrate Paramount's 100th. They have issued DeMille's original The Squaw Man, made at the original Famous barn in Hollywood. Admittedly it also contains the 1930 MGM version they own but nonetheless.....

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Nope, no bad feelings at all between Jerry and Paramount. They just hosted the premiere of the new documentary, "Method to the Madness of Jerry Lewis." His omission in their anniversary is bizarre.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Oh asbsolutely - it will be transcribed shortly and posted as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by oscar_merkx

Hi Neil
Will we get to see that interview ?
Kind regards
Oscar
/t/317822/paramount-celebrates-cent...ek-at-new-blu-rays-on-the-way/30#post_3889493

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
If you throw Olive Films into the equation, Paramount actually comes out on top in the number of blu-ray catalog titles being released, and new to DVD/Blu-ray. 2012 is gearing up to have the largest annual amount of deep catalog Paramount titles released in many moons.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek

Nope, no bad feelings at all between Jerry and Paramount. They just hosted the premiere of the new documentary, "Method to the Madness of Jerry Lewis."
His omission in their anniversary is bizarre.

That's good to hear there are not any bad feelings. You can't trust the Internet. But at least Olive has a few titles coming out, but Paramount is missing the boat on a Delicate Delinquent or Disorderly Orderly Blu-ray or even a couple of the Martin-Lewis titles. They should have used him for the anniversary spokesman.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Totally agree.

I just looked up the 10-disc "Legendary Jerry Collection" I'd bought at Costco for $40 several years back. Naturally, it's out of print now. Amazon Marketplace prices range from $234 for "used - very good" to $399 for "new".

But wait, there's more! Amazon invites us to: [COLOR= rgb(204, 102, 0)]Trade In This Movies & TV Item for $21.00![/COLOR]

http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Collection-Cinderfella-Delinquent-Disorderly/dp/B000ANVQ4G/ref=sr_1_13?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1327119814&sr=1-13

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
ahollis said:
  Would it not be great if the Blu-ray of CLUE could play by automatically picking an ending and then also be able to have all endings play as it does on the DVD.  I remember when I booked the film for our three theatres in Baton Rouge, LA that I was trying to get a different ending at each theatre, hoping to market off that fact.  Surprisingly the booker for Paramount and Film Inspection in New Orleans was able to make that happen.  Favors were owed and paid. 
Wow thats fantastic that you got all 3 endings. I remember they started stating in the news paper adds which theater had which endings. Of course I saw it 3 times! I'd love to see some good extra features on the film. Some in depth stuff on the production design, and interviews with the surviving cast. All kidding aside, I think that Clue is a classic screwball comedy in the best tradition. It has some of the best comic talent of the last 40 years in it. The production design is gorgeous, and the set built from it is amazing. Add to that the photography is understated but beautiful. What's not to like? Yes I'm going to put Clue up with some of the best comedies of the 30's and 40's. Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Bob Furmanek said:
I'm quite surprised (and disappointed) that one of the studios top money-makers has not been recognized in this celebration. Every film he made for the studio turned a profit. Not only that, he's still alive! Excuse me, Paramount. Remember a guy named Jerry Lewis???
I believe that Jerry Lewis owns all of his films. At least the ones after the break up with Dean Martin. Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Bob Furmanek said:
Nope, no bad feelings at all between Jerry and Paramount. They just hosted the premiere of the new documentary, "Method to the Madness of Jerry Lewis." His omission in their anniversary is bizarre.
Maybe they have something bigger planned for his films. Doug

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
MattH. said:
I'm delighted Hondo is on the agenda, but I want the 3D version.
The 3-D version was restored digitally in 2007 - http://www.3dfilmpf.org/info.html . It would be cool to see a 3-D version on Blu-ray but I guess not this year.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

Wow thats fantastic that you got all 3 endings. I remember they started stating in the news paper adds which theater had which endings. Of course I saw it 3 times!
I'd love to see some good extra features on the film. Some in depth stuff on the production design, and interviews with the surviving cast.
All kidding aside, I think that Clue is a classic screwball comedy in the best tradition. It has some of the best comic talent of the last 40 years in it. The production design is gorgeous, and the set built from it is amazing. Add to that the photography is understated but beautiful. What's not to like?
Yes I'm going to put Clue up with some of the best comedies of the 30's and 40's.
Doug

I put CLUE right up there with MURDER BY DEATH. Both are hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks