What's new

Paradigms or Homemade (1 Viewer)

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
Im considering buying 4 paradigm atoms at $250 canadian/pair. They are 2 way speakers with an LFE at 55hz(-3db). Max input power is 50w.

Would it be cheaper to build similar quality speakers?

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
That simple question does not have a simple answer because of 2 huge vairables. 1) What power tools and bits you have free access to. 2) What kind of cabinet finish you want. Finishing costs vary from free (raw MDF) to hundreds of dollars.

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
Price to build speakers for me is free. Im just looking at the raw drivers and xover networks.

Rudy H

Stunt Coordinator
A look inside a very old pair of Paradigm 5Se's
Note they were a freebie to me, but I'm gonna toss them since the woofers I bought are only a fraction of a mm too big :frowning:
The parts cost of the Paradigm Atom's is likely around $50 CAD a pair, if that.

Rudy H

Stunt Coordinator
I know, but seeing the condition the cabinets are in, and considering they're need even more work, and they are 5/8ths particlbe board, I'd rather just build new floor standing towers outta 3/4inch MDF that won't need stands :)

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
Where is a good place to buy speaker drivers in Canada?

I want to spend more on the driver then on the shipping.

Rudy, you said that I could get drivers/xover to cost about $50 a pair. Where? What Kind?

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
shipping to canada actually isn't that much. I emailed gr-research, a company that supplies speaker building kits, on how much shipping to southern Ontario would be. He got back to me the next day and said it would be between $18-$19. That doesn't include cabinets. The kit I asked about were av1's with a silkdome tweeter and 5.25" woofer. Prices were about $229 US. By the time it reaches the border and taxes and exchange are added expect to double the US price to get the cost in Canadian.

Rudy H

Stunt Coordinator
Alex, I'm not sure you could get the exact parts since Paradigm makes the woofers themselves I believe, but what I meant was that the $$ value of the parts is very low.

Drew Preston

Auditioning
Rudy, just wanted to correct you on something. Paradigm doesn't make their own woofers, they say they do but they buy all the parts from Forgings Industrial of Tiawan and just assemble them in Canada. Mirage does the same thing but buys parts from Brazil. Really the only company that builds there own drivers is B&W. They buy Kelvar from Dupont and they weave their own drivers and manufacture their own baskets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks