What's new

Paradigm's and B&W's Quick Question (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
What would you say the comparable line up in B&W speakers in to the Paradigm Studio series? Is it the 600 series?

Thanks for the replies.

Nick

JohnKings

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree. The Studio line competes head-on with the CDMNT line and wins, IMHO, on all fronts.

John

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
Like John says the Studio competes with B&W CDMNT line and for alot less money I think sounds better. Studio imaging, clarity is unreal:D I think my center channel is on all the time when listening to music. Paradigm is the best sound for your money hands down.:D 600 series is not in the same ball park.

See, this is evidence that you can't trust anyones ears but your own. When I was looking for speakers, I had my long list of candidates, and wanted to go to each audition, totally unbiased, and would buy whatever satisfied my liking the best. When I compared the Studio 40's, to the 602's, I found there to be no comparison as far as detail, and music reproduction goes. The 40's seemed to be holding back some of the music in direct comparison. That's not to say that they didn't sound good, because they did sound very good, but were lacking the detail of the B&W's. I'm sure there will be many Paradigm fans that will disagree, but hey, if everyone were to agree, than there would only be a need for one speaker company to satisfy us all.

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, let your own ears be the judge. The Studio holds back nothing,imaging, detail, clarity is top notch. Every instrument sounds the way it should. I found this lacking in the B&W. But that is my ears. IMO you cannot find a speaker that sounds as good as the Paradigm Studio's for anywhere near the price. Experts have agreed to that already;)

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
I have a paradigm dealer and a b&w dealer about 10 minutes from each other so from my comparison shopping...

the DM604 S3 is about the same price range as the Studio 100, but in my opinion I definitely think the Studio 100 is a much better sounding speaker than the DM604. Sound quality wise I think the Studio 100 competes with the CDM 9NT nicely. But in my listenings so far, I think the CDM 9NTs edge out the Studio 100's. But they seem a lot more brighter than I am used to. But I am going to go with the Studio 100's when I upgrade because I don't think they sound over $1000 better than the Studio 100's.

The Paradigm line gets much maligned by snobby audiofiles. I was at my local Paradigm dealer and I was listening to the Studio 100's and this "audophile" gave me an attitude saying "I would never buy a crappy speaker like that" blah blah blah, and went on how he had some expensive pair of Martin Logans. No doubtedly costed $25k+. After that I watched him as he left to see what kinda car expensive car he got into and he got into a piece of crap beat up old car....I bet he still live with his parents ;)

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I checked out these speakers extensively and ended up with Paradigm to replace my Bose. Not sure why but price was a big factor.

I find I can learn to like any clear sounding speaker with tight bass as long as the highs don't get fatiguing. Neither the B&W's or Paradigm's do.

They are very different in the midrange though. But, I could have liked the B&W's too.

So good luck! I'm still growing back the hair I pulled out.

Mike

Pioneer 45 TX
Pioneer SX-1080
Studio 40's
Studio CC
Studio ADP's
Definitive Pro 100 Sub
Bose AM-10's
Toshiba 57HDX82
Toshiba DVD
JVC SVHS
& other assorted junk

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
No, the 600 series would be comparable to the Monitor series, which IMHO is better than the B&W 600 series plus cheaper. I auditioned them very carefully, switching between them every 15 minutes or so, and the Paradigms were much nicer. The studio series would compare to the CM or CDM series, but I don't think that for the price of Studio 20s not veneered that you're gonna find anything close. For $900 with wood veneer they are a ridiculous value. For $650 without the nice veneer (still nice finish but not real wood) you have the most ridiculous of values. For that price they might as well be paying you to take them. I swear, the Canadian gov. HAS to be funding Paradigm at a loss for tourism publicity or SOMETHING, because the value there is INSANE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks